Noob here. Looking at a Seaforth 24

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by TCieszki, Feb 14, 2014.

1. TCieszki

TCieszki Junior Member

Hello all. I am new here but not to sailing. I have owned a Hunter 28.5, Sanbel 19, and Prairie 32. I currently live aboard a Hunter 30 and also sail a Com-pac 16 (with beautiful Tan Bark sails) in and around Titusville, FL. I am interested in adding a Seaforth 24 to the "fleet". Anyone tell me more about this pocket cruiser blue water boat? Tnx, Terry

2. Petros

Petros Senior Member

this one?

[​IMG]

there are others that would know more than me, but based on the hull lines I would say it would be a roomy pocket cruiser, but rather slow. Likely sea kindly as well, it looks heavy and very strong. It was described as a coastal cruiser, but I think by the looks of it it would make a decent open water boat if good preparations and certain precautions were taken.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yep, you've surmised correctly, Petros, she's a well burdened little cruiser. She's easily twice as hefty as a other 17' LWL yachts at 4,200 lbs. and her D/L of 380 and SA/D in the low 13's suggests she'll do well in trade winds, and storms, but not much else. In her defense, she does carry a 38% ballast ratio, which is respectful for her general class. She'll track like a freight train, but backing down will prove a challenge, except to the prop walk side. She's built down quite a bit, so with heavy angles of heel, she'll lose most all of her effective lateral area. She should have a comfortable motion in a rough slosh and the forefoot is cut back enough, that tacking will occur with reasonable confidence.

She's a bit small to be considered a blue water boat, though easily a cat. B, but she's better suited than many coastal cruisers. Your Folk Boat will be a faster and similar companion, but your Hunters and Sanbel will eat it up on every point.Speaking of a comparison, your Sanbel has a 17' 10" LWL and displaces about 1,400 lbs., half the D/L and nearly twice the SA/D, so . . .

4. TCieszki

TCieszki Junior Member

Tnx, guys.

I appreciate the replies. (didn't think I could reply.... main screen said invalid). I was hoping I got the one-lung diesel in it but got the outboard. Cosmetic re-fit needed but a sound boat. At 22 feet (advertised as 24) I don't expect to be using the "passing lane" much but I am sure it will get to where it's going. Tnx agn. TTC

5. TCieszki

TCieszki Junior Member

Yes, Petros, that is the one. Sailrite also calls it a 22 in their sail plan data. It is possible Seaforth calls it a 24 because of the bow roller (anchor) and whatever they call the wooden thingy that holds the backstay out. Those two items could make it a 24. With the generous freeboard, hopefully I can keep the greenwaters off the decks! Tnx. TTC

6. TCieszki

TCieszki Junior Member

Well, I bought the Seaforth! I am now prepping it for off-shore use. The weight/length ratio is 381, so it certainly is heavy enough. Anyone have off-shore time on the Seaforth 24? TTC

7. TCieszki

TCieszki Junior Member

Seaforth for sale!

Well, as nice as the boat is, I was able to rebuy the Prairie I owned in '02. My efforts will now be aimed at reffiting the "tub". TTC