Plug from 24' Center Console

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by JUSTJR27, Mar 17, 2010.

1. JUSTJR27

JUSTJR27 New Member

Hi everyone Im new to this forum Im planning on using a custom 24' center console hull that a friend has owned for a long time as a plug. I have aot exp. with fiberglass and building boats but bigger Commercial lobster type boats new to the smaller pleasure boats and never build a mold before. So my questions are #1 What would my laminate schedule be building up the mold(How many layers of mat,How many layers of woven) #2 What would the laminate schedule be for the new hull made in the mold. #3 I have to make a plug for the inside deck liner I was going to use 1/4" plywood after the liner is done what is the process to get it really to for the duratec

Thanks ahead of time for the help

2. Herman

Herman Senior Member

It alsways surprises me that people give so little information, and expect so much information.

#1. Mat and roving, huh? That can be done, it is pretty old-school, but it works. Today I am pretty fond of the rapid tooling systems, where you basicly spray or roll a tooling gelcoat (do not forget to make the waterline a different colour), then laminate a layer of fine tex lightweight CSM with vinylester, let it cure, laminate another layer of the same, let that cure. Then the fun part. Laminate 4 layers of standard mat wet in wet. I like to stagger the layers so that I can start in the front, then work my way back. With a small team one can do this rapidly. Your mould will be approx 7mm thick now. You can add another 4 layers, which will give you roughly 5mm thickness extra. Do this untill you are satisfied with the thickness.
    Then apply your bracings, and topcoat the mould.

Of, and do not forget to insert an air ejector, which makes demoulding so much easier.

#2. 50 layers of chop will do. Perhaps more, perhaps less. (see my first lines of this posting.)

#3. My guess is that you will never get a decent looking liner using plywood that thin. use something thicker, laminate some layers (2 or so) glass over it, then fair and finish.

One remark: The hull shape is intellectual property of someone else. Be aware of that.

3. bluemoose

bluemoose New Member

Herman, I'm a total nubie to this, but how would one go about getting a license to build from a plug like mentioned above. I am fond of the Bristol 27 and Alberg 30. Both companies are out of business. Heck, the A30 design reaches 50 in a few years, the B27 shortly after. How do you go about finding out who owns the IP 50 years later? For a newer design, I assume it's straight forward to find the IP holder and see if their existing licenses even allows for a third party to construct a hull, but it seems much more amorphous for older classics...

Thanks in advance.

4. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Try and trace the old owner of the yars, or his relatives. Also check with the patent office, to see if there is something there. It can be a challenge.