BOAT BUILDING IN MEXICO- rules and regs???

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by JamesG, Jan 21, 2010.

1. JamesG

JamesG Junior Member

Hey, does anyone know who i need to talk to in order to build a boat in Mexico? What are the rules and regulations? I need to talk to the equivalent of the US Coast Guard, but in Mexico i guess. I also heard that the ABS is not envolved down there.

Please let me know ASAP because I'm heading down to Mexico to build a vessel in less than a month.

Thanks,
    James

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Watch out for the Mexican Narco-Navy.

3. mark775

mark775 Guest

Ten paciencia. I will find out for you in a few days. What type of boat? What are you going to do with it? What dimensions? Where are you going to take it after it is built?

4. JamesG

JamesG Junior Member

Mark775,

It will be a floating concert stage for spring break that I will want to get registered as a vessel in Mexico. It will only be used in Mexico. It will be about 50'X100' and pulled or pushed by a boat. Or it will have outboard motors on it. I plan to build it using JetFloat or a similar modular dock system. I will put sand on it to dress it up like a tropical island for people to enjoy while they watch a concert.

This vessel will be used in calm waters and in the rough open ocean.

I would like to operate this vessel in cabo san lucas, mexico.

Thank you so much for helping me! Let me know if you need more information.

-James

5. JamesG

JamesG Junior Member

BTW, there is a guy who built a floating plastic bottle island near Cancuun, so if he was able to get his registered with the Mexican government then I should be able to get this registered too.

6. Zed

Zed Senior Member

There are rules in Mexico? Really?

7. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Grease the right palms and anything is possible.

8. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Having spent many years in the USCG Office of Boating Safety, dealing with standards for boat builders I never once dealt with any agency in Mexico that did this. We dealt with many other countries but not Mexico. But we did work with builders in Mexico who were exporting boats from Mexico to the US. So if you are building in Mexico and plan to sell in the US then you need to meet US standards.

However to answer your question (sort of) the only reference I could find was that Mexico is a member of ISO and the bureau that handles that is

Dirección General de Normas
    Ave. Puente de Tecamachalco N° 6
    Col. Lomas de Tecamachalco
    Sección Fuentes
    MX-C.P. 53950 Naucalpan de Juárez, Edo. de México

Tel: +52 55 57 29 94 80
    Fax: +52 55 55 20 97 15
    E-mail: iso-mex@economia.gob.mx
    Web: www.economia.gob.mx

You might want to contact them to see if there is a specific bureau for building boats and if they require meeting ISO standards for recreational boats.

How good is your spanish? Habla espanol?

Theyd do have an equivalant to the Coast Guard that is very small and part of their navy, but they don't do anything like this as far as I am aware. see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maritime_Search_and_Rescue_(Mexico)

It is part of what they call the Naval Militia Infantry

Here's a link to their Navy web site http://www.semar.gob.mx/sitio/

9. JamesG

JamesG Junior Member

Thanks for all the info. I only plan on using this vessel for a few months during spring break and don't plan on selling it so maybe i won't run into any problems. I'm thinking maybe i'll just deal with problems as they come up. The only thing i'm wondering about is if customers are paying to see a concert if that changes things. We'll see...

10. mark775

mark775 Guest

James, I've got a request through my wife, a beaner, to ask some members of her family who were and are connected to the federal and two municipal governments. This may take a bit of time, because I know that none of them have anything to do with boats (but they give straight answers).

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

Ike,

nearly nowhere around the world (I am not aware of one nation), a body like the US coast guard is involved in that business, thats very specific in the USA.

But all the major classification societies are present there (and ISO you mentioned).

Regards
    Richard

12. JamesG

JamesG Junior Member

Perfect! I'm definitely interested to see what they have to say. Thank you so much Mark.

-james

13. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Checking out other forums, I see you asked this same question on several other forums. Some of the answers we very good. You might want to share them with members of this forum. The following one was particularly interesting.

http://gcaptain.com/forum/professional-mariner-forum/3954-boat-building-mexico-rules-regs.html

This is the web site of the Mexican Maritime Authority (Secretaria de Comunicaciones y Transportes) http://portal.sct.gob.mx/

14. JamesG

JamesG Junior Member

15. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

How much money do you plan to invest? How many people will be on it? Will it pay for itself?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.