Will fiberglass stick to aluminum foil?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Viittis, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Viittis

Viittis Junior Member

I'm planning to make a boat and use my old boat as a mold(small rowing boat), and this sounds like a good way to coat the mold. I'm not quite sure if this is true?

"Cover area to be molded with fiberglass with aluminum foil. Fiberglass can be laid over the foil and once it dries, foil can be easily peeled off."

SOURCE: http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=62

2. mcollins07

mcollins07 Senior Member

Based on what I have read, epoxy resin will stick to aluminum, but polyester resin will not.

Since polyester resine will not stick to cured epoxy, you might be better off to sheath your old boat with a thin layer of glass and epoxy. Let it cure very well then apply a coat of wax to the boat. Then use the old boat as a plug. If you don't put holes or attachments to the old boat, it might be an improved boat afterwards.

3. Viittis

Viittis Junior Member

The boat I'm going to use as a mold, is a quite new aluminium boat. So I'm looking for a way that would not leave markings on the boat. Also the moldboat is not mine.

4. mcollins07

mcollins07 Senior Member

Does this new aluminum boat have paint on it? Using a mold release wax on the aluminum prior to doing the layup would probably leave the aluminum clean of markings. Are you planning on using polyester or epoxy resine? I think polyester resin would insure that you don't have a problem.

Also have you considered vacuum resin infussion techniques which allow putting a layer of plastic between the mold and the new layup. You would pull a vacuum to hold a layer of plastic against the mold (aluminum boat), and a vacuum seperately for the layup.

5. LarryMcI

LarryMcI Junior Member

Vinylester resin will not stick to aluminum. We use aluminum tape on molds all the time. It is still prudent to apply mold-release wax. You can also spray-on PVA (polyvinylacetate) as a mold-release. It washes off with soapy water.

Your boat's first layers (gel coat included) should be vinylester, damn the costs. If not; osmosis and blistering can be expected. Polyester can be used in subsequent layers for build-up but exposure to water mandates vinylester. Most epoxies will stick to aluminum.

6. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Gee, what a mess.

From experience: Polyester will stick to aluminium foil. You can peel it off in very small sections, but doing a boat mold that way is not the way to go.

As the boat is not yours, spray or brush on a liberal amount of PVA film (in 2 layers). This will protect the aluminium boat, and your mould. It dissolves in water, so once demoulding, make sure you use a lot of water.

Your mould will not be a very high gloss, so will need some sanding and buffing. Keep that in mind when applying gelcoat.

For the boat: A good gelcoat, well applied (right thickness), and a well laminated polyester will last longer than ever needed. Without osmosis ro any other problem.

7. Viittis

Viittis Junior Member

The new boat doesn't have paint on it. I will use polyester resine. I'm not very good at working with glassfiber, so I haven't thought of using any kind on vacuum techniques. I have never seen any tools for sale for such a technique here where I'm living. Links to articles where this vacuum is done would be very appriciated, at least I'd have a chance to read how it's done.

The only resin they sell here, is polyester, so I don't have a lot of options. And it the price is horrible 27$/2,2lbs at some shops. I've managed to get some discount from a local boat builder and I can buy resin for 10$
    /2.2lbs.

8. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Contact Kenny Gauffin or his son at KG Enterprises. See what he can do for you.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.