Green hand,foreigner,need advise

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by chinaboy, Jan 30, 2013.

1. chinaboy

chinaboy Junior Member

I now work in a company which is planing to bulid boatyard, producing powerboat. I knew nothing about boating. I am considering to buy a book from Amazon. I am thinking about How to Design A Boat (Sheridan Hse)
    , I need some advise about this book. Is it good for a green hand? I'm a Chinese by the way, so we don't have any useful books to learn. All the yacht companies are copying other company from Italy, Newsland, America.....I'm now also learning to use solidworks. I find boating fascinating. You know in China, it is almost impossible to visit YOUTUBE,FACEBOOK,,,And our website like youku is full of useless things.

2. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

3. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

chinaboy,

Why not have some time with the fellas that will be making the boats, they will know a lot and will be able to advise on Chinese books that will help your understanding.

I found the NA's in China to be quite helpful too, they have plenty of drawings to explain things to you. Try to speak to the most experienced fellas, do not be afraid of asking for help, it just shows that you really do want to learn.

4. chinaboy

chinaboy Junior Member

5. chinaboy

chinaboy Junior Member

Thank you for the advise, Landlubber. I don't understand what this NA'S is.Since I'm working now, I think it's better to buy books and learn by myself. I don't have any boat company around me. My company is cooperating with an American company,and several months later some Americans will come to China to help and teach us. Looking forward to see some real American people so I can improve my english.

6. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

naval architect = NA

7. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

What is the name of this American company?

8. chinaboy

chinaboy Junior Member

EBBTIDEBOATS, from WHITE BLUFF, TN

9. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Quick google for Ebbtide's factory

July 28th:
    Ebbtide Boats has been sold to a privately held Chinese investment company.... manufacture 18- to 28-foot sport and recreational boats out of its 150,000 square-foot facility in White Bluff, Tenn., where they manufacture cuddy cabin, bowrider and deck boat models.

http://www.boatingindustry.com/top-...ide-boats-sold-to-chinese-investment-company/

But then from last October on another forum:

"Has anyone heard what is going on with Ebbtide? I went by their factory to see them and the place is like a ghost town. Some locals claim they are not making many boats due to the economy."

So guess where the production is/will be and he's not working with an American company...

10. chinaboy

chinaboy Junior Member

Yes, my boss bought this company. The production in Ebbtide suspended for a few months because they didn't have floorplan. I don't understand what this floorplan is, maybe something about the engine. We emported some boats from Ebbtide to China, and the quality and design are much better than those produced in other companys in China(though their boats maybe bigger,but are just copies and with bad performance).

11. chinaboy

chinaboy Junior Member

Yes, my boss bought this company. The production in Ebbtide suspended for a few months because they didn't have floorplan. I don't understand what this floorplan is, maybe something about the engine. We emported some boats from Ebbtide to China, and the quality and design are much better than those produced in other companys in China(though their boats maybe bigger,but are just copies and with bad performance).

12. jimhongfei

jimhongfei Junior Member

me too

i'm chinese too.and i have three years work experiences.there have some books is worth to read in yacht

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.