Accomidations?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Hotel Lima, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Hotel Lima

Hotel Lima Junior Member

Hello,

I have a slight dilemma on my hands and I don't know where to start. I am having a boat designed with room for 12 guests in 6 rooms. Each room can be fitted out with either a queen or two twins. What combination is the question. I was figuring 2 rooms of twins and 4 of queens but then what happends when kids come onboard or people arn't married and space becomes tight? It would be a nightmare to have to sleep with someone that you don't know or arn't in a relationship with (obviously) and then it would feel spartan to sleep without your wife/husband or significant other yet still in the same room...

I'm alittle puzzled :confused: anyone have any expierence with this? Any input would be greatly appriciated.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

There are two trains of thought on this. One is to set up the boat (interior) as a "charter" which cuts the interior up into little spaces, so you can have many paying guests aboard, all having private spaces. The other is more communal, with the idea of a family, in a live aboard situation, which provides more open areas (less division) so the boat feels more "airy".

Basically, with a vessel of this size, you have to decide what you want from her. Will she work a charter? If so, you'll want the well divided interior and single berths, possibly some converting to doubles. If it's a pure pleasure craft then you would be the only one that could speculate how the accommodations would best suit your guests.

If the boat is a harbor queen and doesn't venture out into open water, then double berths are fine, where you want them. If she will see service in deep water, you'll want single berths, which are much less prone to tossing the guest on the sole, if the boat pitches.

3. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Par suggests that you are designing a charter boat. This you didn't specify on your post but, as an ex-marketing man, if you are considering using the boat for charter, may I put in a marketing tip.

Don't re-invent the wheel. Have a look at charter boats on the web and see what their berthing arrangements are.

The charter boats I have looked at are twin share.

What is your marketing target? Usually 18 to 25s want to bonk all night and every night, and remember the best contraceptive is wedding cake.

So, if you are looking at a high end excellent service cruise, then over 40s because they have the money and bonking is not top priority twin share is fine.

If you are offering dive cruises then it will be the 18 - 25s then twin share is fine because they can bonk anywhere and don't need a double bed.

Then again if you are offering layback medium priced cruises with moonlight swims and beach BBQs then go for double beds that's a bonking cruise.

So, basically you are the one to set the bonking mood.

Further to this and speaking totally marketing and not boat building, can you fit beds to a cabin to suit the guests. Since you are in the design mode throw a bit of a challange to your designer.

I,ve often thought that boat designs don't have enough flexibility. Perhaps anchorage points (oops sounds a bit strange on a boat forum) screw holes in the floor where you can secure different types of beds. single beds, double beds or bunks. And change to your clients needs.

Got to go now the wife needs bonking.

Poida

PS I lied about the bonking.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.