Please help me identify this boat

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by member 65088, Aug 7, 2018.

1. member 65088

member 65088 Previous Member

I recently bought this 20-21ft boat (its hard to accurately measure it)
    Initially i thought it was a modified coronet 21ft explorer as it has a flare by the waterline. Ive searched for a hull number as the deck was rotten and ive removed it and the stringers.
    The more i look at it the more i dont think it is especially as certain bits look original, like the hatch.
    Current thinking is it could be a modified 20ft bertram moppie hardtop but i just dont know.
    I plan on putting a 50hp outboard on the back glassing in stringers, nice deck and helm area and making the cabin into something i can overnight on but would love to know what im working on, both to do it justice and to have a better idea what kind of sea keeping i can expect etc.
    If anyone has an idea please get in touch.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Greetings, what you have there is almost certainly a Raymond Hunt ( Bertram) design from the early 1960's. Just looking at your pics, it may be closer to a 19 footer. These boats were built world-wide under various licensing arrangements, and the actual maker I would not have a clue about. But there was a thread started here by a chap from the UK, and the boat was a Hunt design, he called it a "Fairey Hunt", so that might be a lead. Fairey was an aircraft maker back in the day. These boats are well known to provide a good ride in choppy water, but need adequate power, a 50hp engine would be in a no-man's land of insufficient power to plane, and too much power to just potter around off-plane. Here is a quite similar hull to yours, which has been re-birthed as a centre console, it is a 19 foot "Haines Hunter", which were sold in Australia and NZ back in the 60's. The strake placement looks identical.

DSC04186.jpg

3. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Something tells me 50 horses aren't gonna get you over the hump Judy. Or just, which means in a good wind or head seas, not.

Rethink the power.

Amd while you are at it; one of the greater failings of these boats is a deep cutdown transom. Depending upon use, consider either raising the transom or going full up and adding a bracket for the engine.

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

btw, a proper size motor for this boat is about 150 hp

5. Mr Efficiency

150 would be about right. And they are a bit tippy at rest.

6. member 65088

Wow, thanks guys.
    I knew it was a heavy boat, but didn't expect to hear that a 50 would be woefully underpowered.
    I have a trusty 50hp in good condition, alas not enough funds to be able to go bigger at the moment so it looks like il have to watch the weather carefully.
    I don't care about speed as such, just having an engine that will get you there and back safely.

Out of interest does anyone have a comment about stringer placement? I could replace what i took out easily, but if they are wrong I'd rather know and put them back properly.

Likewise i agree a full height transom would be best, any ideas on how to make a bracket suitable for a 50 that will also take a heavy 150 beast in the future? Or should I just fabricate a full height splashwell for simplicity and keep thw transom height how it is?
    Thanks again!

7. member 65088

Il have to measure the boat more accurately, but this is the exact cabin and hull shape.
    Prize goes to Mr Efficiency for his keen eye. Thank you.

Attached Files:

8. Mr Efficiency

Back in the time these boats were built, the outboard versions ( might have been some sterndrives) would have been running mid size motors like the V4 OMC's ( Johnson & Evinrude), and the Mercury 6 cylinder, or Chrysler straight 4 cylinder 120-130 hp. They were quite adequate to provide a cruise speed of no more than 25 knots. Today, the typical restoration project would go to bigger engines, but I would not think them necessary, as any extra speed would only be available in flat conditions, these are 25 knot boats, not 30 knot boats, and there is a world of difference in what is required in a boat, to comfortably cruise at 30 knots in "average" conditions, to the more sedate 25 knots.

9. member 65088

My last boat (which was set on fire by yobs and the insurance wriggled out of) had a 1.5bmc inboard on it. I was quite happy pootling along at a max of 10kts, normally 8kts as it was a comfortable journey.
    if i can get 10-15kts il be satisfied for the time being i think.
    I want it for fishing comfortably off of so not neccessary for so fast i could be doing drug running and avading the coastguard!!

Ironically i looked at a 25ft fairey a week before buying this one, it was a lovely boat but all of the interior wood needed to be replaced, it was afloat but the deck was so badly gone my fiot went through it in a couple of places.
    Now i have gutted this one, it kind of makes my reason for not buying it irrelevant. It had an inboard 90hp but hadnt been started at all since the owner had it 5yrs so didnt know if it ran or not (prob did). Its funny how i have been drawn twice to faireys, i must like something about them. Kicking myself that i could have had a 25ft for roughly the same price now though!

10. Mr Efficiency

Your 50 hp motor is pretty well useless, on this boat, it just won't push it to speed where it will get over the planing "hump", and these types of boats have a pronounced one. Even propping down, and/or fitting trim tabs, won't get it there. You really would need another 50hp motor to go with it. Failing that, you can elect to travel at 5 or 6 knots, which might be tolerable if the distances involved are not great, and there aren't strong tidal runs to deal with. That is just the physics of the situation.

11. member 65088

I do appreciate the advice and info, the 50hp is what i have, for now. It didnt come with the boat but was mine from before hand. If i was to sell the 50, as you know it wouldnt even get me half way towards a 150hp. I cant afford to restore the boat and get a new engine for now so it will either have to do and limit my range etc until i can get somethig suitable, or have to go and leave me with nothing.
    I coulĸ go an inboard route, but price for price they are about the same price as an outboard so that also doesnt solve the situation.
    Ive measured the boat, and although i was told it was approx 21ft, it looks to be 18 so is definately the fairey hunt18.

Thanks again for all the help. Il post updates of the resto if anyone is interested.

12. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

The best way to build on the cheap would be to raise up the splashwell, but the other thing is to make sure to use a long or extra long shaft motor.

For you, the best plan would be to build with an add on bracket planned. It will increase your resale if the next person can do it easily.

I am no expert in prepping for a specific bracket. Find/call the manufacturer. These boats are much nicer with the engine on a bracket and the extra cockpit space it gives (think motorwell is livewell or baitwell). Resale doubles. And I mean it.

Be careful with that 50 hp plan. These boats are beasts and if you go out 5 miles and need an hour to get back in weather; you might end up putting the sea on you stern and going out to sea or running beam. Make sure you run a vhf into that budget and keep a phone handy.

Probably the most common motor on these was the 165. It still wasn't a speedboat.

The other thing to consider is your bow will be high running the 50 and fuel economy very poor. So make sure your fuel plan is stout amd stout enough for future bigger engines. I am using Moeller plastic in my build. If you pm me, I'll give you a cheap vendor name. Mr E mighy correct me, but plan fuel at 1 gallon per mile or 200 gallons for 200 range. If you can't afford the tank; build the well for a larger and make the panel removeable and use a smaller otherwise you repaired a boat needing to be gutted again.

13. member 65088

Points understood and taken on board. Looks like il be rehoming the 50. The plus side is il have more time to refurbish the boat!
    Thanks again.

14. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

By the way, the transom is sized a certain way for a certain size motor now.

I am not suggesting using a longer shaft motor than the transom is designed for, just that if you do any transom work vs a bracket to design and rebuild for longer shaft engines.

Believe it or not, on advice like this, I'd have someone come back and credit me for running xl shaft on a shorter transom.

Good luck. There is a forum I'm on where these are usually getting redone and they exclusively use 3/4" marine ply for all repairs to keep the weights close to original. Pm me for further.

15. member 65088

Fallguy, sounds interesting, il PM you in a few.
    Ive spoken to Garrybull on here who bought the hunt18 moulds, looks like i will get some good advice from him and the others here. Ive asked about him making a similar pod for an outboard that he did for his as pictured.

Attached Files:

garrybull likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.