Planing Hull forms

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Paulo.AS, May 19, 2008.

1. Paulo.AS

Paulo.AS Junior Member

Hi to all,

I'd like some input on planing hulls form sailboats. As one sees boats like IMOCA 60's flying low on the water the question that begs answering is what's the shape?
    Also where to use chines and to what purpose?

Cheers

2. ChicagoDrifter

ChicagoDrifter Junior Member

3. Paulo.AS

Paulo.AS Junior Member

Drifter,

Thanks for you reply & comment. Maybe I was way too broad. So here it goes more refined: As far as monohull sailboats, more specifically sloops, planing hulls follow the same reasoning as for a powerboat concerning sections and buttocks lines? Also can some one point the reason for having chines at the after end of the boat? I've seen some comment that it would increase the ability to carry sail (=power).

Hope this narrows it down

4. ChicagoDrifter

ChicagoDrifter Junior Member

chine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chine_(boating)
    I don't know what type of chine you are talking about. Please attach a picture. The design of chines is related to stability which has something to do with sail area. Check out some similar threads on the bottom of the page and see if those guys know more of what are you talking about.

5. Petros

Petros Senior Member

planing sail boats are almost always light centerboard boats with flat bottoms with wide beams and usually hard chines. The hard chines allow the water to cleanly shed off the hull. Round bottoms have less drag in displacement mode but tend to "suck" the hull downward as the water moves over the curved surfaces. You can not get a keel boat to plane because it is too heavy. There is a complicated relationship between the amount of lift the hull bottom generates as you pick up speed, the weight of the boat and its CG location, the size of the sails, etc.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.