Stepped Hull Resistance

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by tkdchris, Nov 15, 2010.

1. tkdchris

tkdchris Engineer

Am working on a stepped hull design, LWL 11.7m with twin steps. I have a basis model without steps that when run through savitsky requires 776kW to reach the design speed, however the program give 725 for the stepped model.

My concerns are around the program i'm using - hullspeed - and the fact that the manual doesn't state that it can deal with stepped hulls. Not even convinced that Sovitsky is the correct method for stepped hull resistance.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Also pointers towards literature on the matter would be super :)

Chris

1 person likes this.
  2. yipster

yipster designer

3. HJS

HJS Member

Transverse Steps

Use this excellent paper by David Svahn. It can by extended to two steps.

js

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  4. Kestrel

Kestrel Junior Member

stepped hulls

Hi all,
    I'm new in the forum, I've seen a quite interesting item ... , it's since a long time that I''m interested in. It could be interesting to give a look here:
    http://www.idet.it/idra.html

bye

1 person likes this.
  5. tkdchris

tkdchris Engineer

Thank You very much, this is a most useful paper :)

6. JorgenBeyer

JorgenBeyer JorgenBeyer

Stepped hulls

Hey Chris! I am pretty certain that the software Hullspeed does not consider stepped hulls. It also runs Savitsky and the difference you get must be input values...

Jurgen Sass: how do you suggest you improve svahn's model to include two steps? I feel some of his assumptions are only valid for a single step, and he said the same thing in a meeting i had with him yesterday.

Has anyone managed to model resistance on two steps? How would you predict the wake after the last step?

JBS

1 person likes this.

7. Kestrel

Kestrel Junior Member

Hi,
    virtually it's the same approach: You have to consider each planing surface, delimited by a step, running in the wake of the one foregoing, then compute the equilibrium condition (pitch and heave) for all the planing area together, and force distribution (i.e. 2 steps, 3 planing surfaces), given a Xcg, speed, displacement, it's normally an iterative procedure (in http://www.idet.it/idra.html, that program works up to 4 planing areas - 3 steps, by an iterative method using 3D geometry definition updated each iteration). More steps in the bottom, more local area calcutions must be done, and a bit more complicate to seek global equilibrium. The process must be done by software. Depending on error tollerance wanted, it involves thousands of iteration normally, even for a single speed data.
    K.

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.