irwin43 shoal vs wing

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by 43Irwin, Feb 11, 2012.

1. 43Irwin

43Irwin New Member

Hello
    I have a interest in a Irwin 43 cc sloop.I looked at 2 boats,identical except for keel configuration,1986 has a shoal keel,4'11" draft and the other is a 1988 with a wing keel,4'11" draft.I really prefer the 1986 because its in pristine condition.Would there be a big difference in performance.What are the pros and cons,one keel vs the other.We are local cruisers on the chesapeake.What do you think......
    Richard
    sailmaster39@yahoo.com

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The wing on that boat was purely a marketing device, used to sell yachts and really didn't offer much else. The winged keel will have deeper draft when heeled, compared to the standard shoal fin, so the logical choice in your area, is the regular shoal fin, not the wing. On the other hand, if you're racing other quarter of a century old Irwin 43's, then you might consider the wing. Personally, I think the additional drag will not make up for the lift and righting arm differences. Considering that wings have all but disappeared on these types of yachts, the proof may very well already be in the pudding.

3. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

The other option is to take a reciprocating saw and cut off the wings. I have done this on a number of boats where the wings were just flat plates and didn't add to RM. In every case, there was no noticeable difference in performance, but the boats were much easier to get off of mud bars.

4. 43Irwin

43Irwin New Member

Thanks Par
    This 86 irwin 43 is in pristine condition,even though the boat is 25 years old.It looks garage kept.Thanks again for your response.I`ve read many of your postings.
    Richard

5. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Agree with PAR. For me personally, the keel would play zero role in deciding between the two boats.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.