Please help identify this TS hull

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by seasquirt, Nov 29, 2022.

1. seasquirt

seasquirt Senior Member

cTS1.png cTS1.png cTS1.png

Attached Files:

• cTS2.png
      cTS2.png
      File size:
      426.5 KB
      Views:
    • cTS3.png
      cTS3.png
      File size:
      428.8 KB
      Views:
    • cTS4.png
      cTS4.png
      File size:
      515.8 KB
      Views:
  2. seasquirt

seasquirt Senior Member

I don't know what happened to my text, but here it is again.
    This local boat for sale has been bugging me for a while now, and getting cheaper. It looks a bit like several hull designs I know, but not exactly like any of them. It is apparently home built, and I think the cabin is a builder's interpretation. It may be a well known design outside of Australia, or could be a mix of several ideas. To me it looks like a plywood power boat hull circa 1970s -1980s, which has been converted to sail. There are quarter berths in the sides, and a small V berth. It has a slightly weighted swing centre board, of agricultural profile shape, looks like F/G over wood, and pushing up from under the trailer it felt about 20 - 30 Kg weight at the far end, so not heavy. The angular deck and cabin features suggest simplicity of build over ergonomics. The wooden square mast and boom are kindling, but sails are in very good condition, suggesting little use, so maybe it is a dog to sail, and was mostly used under power. I see it as a potential project for a micro pilot house motor sailer, or similar.

3. Ike

Ike Senior Member

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

5. seasquirt

seasquirt Senior Member

Thanks Ike, and Fallguy. The HIN says home built 1980something, and that's all, I read the paperwork held by the dealer, who also has no idea what it is. No builder, design, or useful details shown there beyond "government" taxing someone. It's 15 feet long, ply over frame, has a different stern, keel, and bottom to a Hartley TS 16 but looks similar in ways, disregarding the cabin. All of the hull outer has recently been nicely glassed, except under the centre metal strip - a cheap (or expensive) dodgy cover up job I think; there is bare wood seen under the centre strip. It started at around 5K, down to $1,999 now, but no O/B, and trailer leaf springs are shot. A potential money hole if the boat builder was slack. I've already made an indecently cheap offer on it, but it owes someone some money I think, and it's in a boat sales yard, so profit is involved. I thought it could be a duck works type plan, or maybe from New Zealand, but with thousands of boat designers out there, who knows.

6. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Around here, that boat is $3000 no repairs. $1500 with any repairs.

If you can do a tap test and it passes, $1500 (my dollar) is okay. If it had any hull repair and needs mast and boom, $1000 USD is generous. So, not knowing your offer; you are close..to where I'd be..

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.