Please help. Identify this boat.

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kalibore, Sep 20, 2015.

1. kalibore

kalibore New Member

Sure .. Makes sense. Thanks for the info. I'm just repeating what he said. He moves boats for a living. Has done all his life and he's in his 60's now.

2. kalibore

kalibore New Member

Yeh exactly that ^^ he's there and I'm here. Thinking what to do with her. Bloody steal at that price though

3. kalibore

kalibore New Member

It's all totally legit.. He's a good mate and has a spare boat he offered it to me first, that's the scenario

4. kalibore

kalibore New Member

That's the price to me. Wouldn't be for anyone else.. Before it crosses anyone's mind haha :p

What do you think she would be worth approx in Aus?

5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

So your "good mate" is going to sell to you at a highly discounted price, knowing you intend to immediately re-sell at a handsome profit ? Why would he do that, and not just sell it at market price ?

6. kalibore

kalibore New Member

I didnt plan to resell it at all initially. But I am interested in what she is worth. I would maybe keep it in Aus, go hang out on her when I feel like it for a month here and there and possibly have her rented for charters in the mean time. That was the idea anyway.

7. kalibore

kalibore New Member

And he isn't tight on cash.. Like I said, he is a skipper that delivered boats all his life. He is looking out for a mate.. It's not all cash and profit .. Especially when your loaded already :p even if I sold it and made a profit, he wouldn't mind one bit.

Why, do you want to buy a boat?? ;)

8. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

You can't rent anything for charter without going through a bunch of regulatory hoops, which would involve $. You need to do a full accounting of all costs for whatever scenario you envisage, it would cost plenty to keep the thing moored in a marina all year round, plus maintenance costs etc. The initial outlay might seem attractive, but that will be a minor % of outlays in the longer term.

9. kalibore

kalibore New Member

Yup I totally agree, well said. I'd actually be better off selling it.

I'd split it with him anyway if I did that, if he would accept (he wouldn't though).
    It would be a headache I expect.. Would need to register a company and all that story.

I reckon $35k Aussie would be a very tidy price for her to someone. I'd expect a quick sale at that price too. I've been looking and reckon for a 42ft flybridge there she should fetch 50k easy peasy no sweat. Probably more, but without all the exact spec I can't find out accurate values yet.

10. kalibore

kalibore New Member

She comes with licence and mooring paid up for the year he said

11. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

10 lt ph is pretty normal for that boat at 10 knts. Is it ply. Glass or ally. If its ply it will be from the 70's or early 80's. All the main cray boat builders had switched to glass after that. There were also a lot of ally boats built from 90's onwards. It looks like a pelin design or it maybe a vindex.

12. whitepointer23

If its ply it is worth $15 to 25 k . If it has rot or other issues under 10k. If its glass 20 to 30 k . Looks like ply to me. They are plentiful and cheap because most people won't touch a ply boat. You have to consider that it is an old boat that has been converted after its useful working life is over. I am not trying to put you off . I love cray boats and have had a lot to do with them but they are what they are.

13. whitepointer23

The most common cray hulls back then were len Randall designs but the bow looks a bit different.

14. whitepointer23

Hope i didn't offend you mate. That is not the intention. It may be an excellent boat but not as an investment. I have seen boats like that take months to sell at well under 20k. They start off in the 30's and go down each month till they get a bite.

15. kalibore

kalibore New Member

Hi, Thank you Whitepointer!!

That is very helpful actually. Hahah, no please feel free, try to put me off!

Last thing I need at the moment is another boat headache.

That is all good info. I'm struggling to find even one that is very similar to compare prices on these. Yes I understand, I will find out about the material. I expect there are tonnes of these about in Aus, converted versions from the 80's?

I know there is not rot at all, she is in very good condition and lovingly cared for.

It looks like a mish mash of boats dosen't it?! Like the Pelin Bow perhaps. The thing that throws me out is the shape and pitch the gunwale changes in the middle.

Really appreciate the help guys, thanks again.

So she's probably in the 15-25k range you think. Wow mate, boats are a damn sight cheaper in Aus than the UK.

Even if she is ply, a boat of sound (floating!) condition/spec like her of that year is still going to cost you around £35/40k I should say (70/80k Aussie).. at least!!

But in all fairness we all know how much of a rip off everything is here, especially you guys out in Aus haha. My friend selling the boat is actually from the UK, he got out yeeears ago!