Help Identifying military 36 foot inverted V hull

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Argonaut, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Argonaut

Argonaut New Member

I have purchased what apears to be an EX- Military welded Aluminum Hull boat...Just over 35 feet long....It has a 12 foot beam on the hull with wings on the stern that bring the beam a little over 14 feet. It has an inverted V hull design. It may have been Jet powered at some time (cutouts in Transom Welded up) but it now has V drives......Square bow that comes off the nearly catamaran bow section and continues to the inverted V stern. The boat is open now without superstructure.......Engines mounted in extreme stern...Welded in the stern is 36UB697, I know military boats very well but have never seen anything like this.....I have photos if anyone would like to see.....The seller had been told that it was some sort of riverine craft (maby a prototype?)

Attached Files:

2. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

web search " riverine craft " USMC topic riverine boats. A 35' RAC is shown had 2 diesels / jet drives.

3. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Yes, a stormboat type, used by special forces as landing boats.....

1 person likes this.
  4. SCPO USN

SCPO USN New Member

I think I can help you with identifying this hull, I believe I know what type of riverine craft it is but I need a little more info. Please let me know if you are still interested.

5. pieter1

pieter1 New Member

I like the boat. Where can i get something like this?

6. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Cool find, what are you going to do with it?

7. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

no not used by special forces,,,but the wings were probably used by divers to get back on board,probably used by marine fisherys or park and game commisions,,,but definantly not special forces,,,longliner

8. SCPO USN

SCPO USN New Member

Gentlemen,
    This is a U.S. Navy Special Forces boat. In fact it is a Vietnam-era Medium SEAL Support Craft (MSSC). Those are not "wings" on the port and starboard side, and they were not used to help divers on or off the boat. They are sponsons that help to stabilize the craft when it was on step.

DogCavalry likes this.
  9. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

special forces is army,,,,seal is navy ,,,,sf used rb15,rubber boat 7 on each side ,,one coxman

10. SCPO USN

SCPO USN New Member

The key issue here is not the semantics between military forces (SEAL vs SF) but the fact that this is a USN riverine boat, not a park and game commission or marine fisheries boat.

11. AuxiliaryComms

AuxiliaryComms Master work in progress

I thought 36UB would indicate 36' Utility Boat, a quick browse around suggested these were made for the Army Corps of Engineers. But it looks like the Senior Chief may have it already.

A little more searching confirms it, I think. You seem to be in posession of one of ten Medium Seal Support Craft built by Atlantic Research in the 60s and 70s http://www.shipbuildinghistory.com/history/smallships/pnumberedsmallcraft.htm

This site is in Spanish but it has photos of MSSC further down.
    http://sistemadearmas.sites.uol.com.br/nav/fluusasealb.html

If it's the right boat then that junk on the back must have been added later in life.

1 person likes this.
  12. webstermike1

webstermike1 New Member

Not a MSSC

this is not a mssc, the boat that everybody is talking about is 36' long had an inverted v hull, 2 427 chevy engines and 2 mercruser mk 1 outdrives. when i left the river sqaudron in 1980 there was ony 3 left in coranado, ca. this is not one of them. here is a pic of the real thing

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  13. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

Looks like a Hickman sea sled, I remember reading that some were build for the military .
    Cool boat.

14. webstermike1

webstermike1 New Member

Not a MSSC

i think that is a utility boat, i was stationed on the MSSC1 for 3 years. it was after Vietnam, but they were a blast. that is a picture of the 1 boat during the years i ran it. i had the canopy manufacrued, and by then we were running out of parts, so we had to go down to the auto parts store and get parts to fix them. just after i left the boats were taken out of the water and scrapped. most of the parts that were taken off were destroyed. there were too may problems with getting them fixed. the wiring was aircraft and the outdrives were out dated and no more props could be found and would have to be manufactured. so i really don't think you will find one out there but you never know.

Attached Files:

fallguy likes this.

15. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Cool pics.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.