Boss boat hook.

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by lewisboats, Aug 20, 2014.

1. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

2. FMS

FMS Senior Member

3. UNCIVILIZED

UNCIVILIZED DIY Junkyard MadScientist

I guess they ain't got no cowboys in Sweden (and elsewhere ;-). AKA fella's that can lasso things, moving & not... from a tilting, rolling, moving platform. Kidding (well kind of). Neat invention though, & could on occasion come in handy.

Albeit I've seen similar rigs elsewhere... You can have a tapered dovetail piece machined & then screw/bolt it to the backside of your mooring hook. Then, have the opposite part of the dovetail welded/cast/lashed w. Spectra to the shackle or carabineer of your choice (with a rope attached to said high $ clip of course) & presto, you can snag a mooring ball every time.
    Or, in a pinch, just lightly seize a biner onto your boat hook with a few loops of Dental Floss. And once the 'biner's snapped/locked on, just give your boat hook a good yank.

Such is all based on the assumption that you trust the mooring that is... in lieu of your stout ground tackle.

Actually such an item is in production, I just don't recall the where part at the moment. In case anyone's interested in alternatives.

As to the Cowboy reference, sans any practice, ever, I could lasso a mooring post, bollard or cleat from 40' since I was 10, with standard 3-strand dockline. So it can be done. If you need to practice, just set a 5-gallon pail out in your yard & have at it.
    It's a good trick to have in one's quiver in a pinch.

4. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Tugboat bowline and then toss it....step back to the bits, belay, and then finish off.

5. UNCIVILIZED

UNCIVILIZED DIY Junkyard MadScientist

Looks like Jamestown Distributors has a bit better price on it. $90 for the fixed pole version, & $120 for the telescoping pole version. Either way, it's pretty reasonable when compared to the competition. The C.S. Johnson CS Johnson Grab 'N Go Mooring Hook for $82. Which isn't nearly so versatile http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=13617

6. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

A friend of mine trained his beagle to drop a loop over a cleat. Just toss the dog, then the rope. A box of dogie treats costs way less than the boat hook, plus the beagle was a chick magnate.

Shaft_passer