I'm converting a bowrider to a center console.

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by m2bueller, May 2, 2009.

1. m2bueller

m2bueller New Member

I recently picked up a 1983 Chris Craft Scorpion 168 (19') bowrider. The floor and transom are solid with no soft spots. The interior was gutted by the previous owner. The plan is to cut out the split consoles and build from scratch a center console. I've been laying up fiberglass since the 70s so the console is no big deal. My question is about the comfortable width of the CC. I've got about 68" between the rails. I would like the build the console as wide as possible but still leave sufficient room to pass by it on either side. Is there a suggested minimum width I need to leave for this?

I'll be posting pics as the build continues.

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

You can get by with 15" to 18" each side as you do not have to rotate your shoulders. you can test that with 2 pieces of wood in the garage. However if you run your console all the way to one side then leave 24" clear for a 1 way clearance

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

When moving around, fighting an obnoxious fish, that's trying to foul on the drive leg or something, you'll want as much room to dance around the inside of the boat as possible. Make the console just big enough to house what you need and use the room gained for the bigger butted friends you might have aboard.

4. m2bueller

m2bueller New Member

Well I've decided to keep the console under 30" wide. That will leave me plenty of room to move around the sides. Now for my next question. This has to do with the old bow seating area. should I cut the whole thing out and leave a flat deck all the way forward or should I box it in and use it for a raised casting deck? If I removed it then I'm left with only the console and the seat built into the front of it for storage. I have a pair of swivel captains chairs that I was thinking out using but I'm likening the idea of a swing back bench to add some additional storage to the boat.

[​IMG]

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

How you arrange your boat is up to you. I'd have a casting deck with storage below, but to each their own. This will also permit an athwartship bulkhead, which will greatly increase the stiffness in the bow.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.