Hole in the hull!!! can it be fixed???

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by roofape, May 6, 2009.

1. roofape

roofape New Member

i have a cruisers 3275 2002 model that took a hit on a large rock. The result was a hole about 30 inches in the bottom of the bow. There apperar to be some cracking in the structure upward and back. Is this repairable? If so is this a project for some one with several years of experience in residential construction, aircraft repair, and some auto body background. For the most part I am wondering is this something that can be repaired and if so could I make the repairs myself? I am new to the world of hull repair and any input would be great....... thanks......

Attached Files:

2. Rangerspeedboat

Rangerspeedboat Senior Member

Wow........What a hole.

3. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Of course it is repairable. But have someone with experience fix it. You can do a lot of the work as required and instructed, but you really need an experienced glass man to lay up a new stem and to reinforce the cracks. Assuming the damage is limited to the bow area.

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Is the area holed acessable from the inside? Does the stem have a stiffiner in it or is it solid glass. Do you know or can you find out if epoxy is compatable with the hull material? It is a big job but can be fixed and be stronger than the original. Need to know answers to my questions then I will tell you what I would do. You should be able to do it yourself if you have general wood working experience, know how to scrib, and fiberglassing experience. You will need a Good Jig saw. Also do you know the thickness of the hull at where it is holed?

5. roofape

roofape New Member

there is storage under the elevated front birth , i should be able to gain acce ss through the floor there if need be. There looks to be wood with alot of resin poured arround it at th bottom of the v the rest looks to be plywood and layers of fiberglass.

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yes, it's repairable, no it's not a job for the novice. With some study on the subject of 'glass repairs, you could manage a reasonable patch, but some serious experience will be the thing that makes this look like new again.

Not that I don't think you can do it, it's just to do it right you have to be able to access the extent of the actual damage, which I don't think you are capable of. You should have a pro make this repair. I'm not trying to offend you. This is a cored laminate and repairs need to be preformed carefully to match the original laminate schedule and address all the damage, which may be much more extensive then it appears.

7. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

After printing and blowing up the pictures I am going to retract what I said about you being able to do this correctly. Did you have insurance on the boat at the time of the accident? You will be dealing with a lot of angles and if you do not have the knowledge of the methods and skills then have a pro do it. I've repaired, even lengthened fiberglass boats and now you know why I build wood boats. That would be a straight forward repair on wood and you could probably do it yourself. Creating a 3 way angled patch and also fairing into the gel coat is not simple. And that is just one side. Best to you, Stan

8. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Nice Hole

roofape,

That's some hole! How are the passengers?

I'm surprised you didn't loose the boat, must have ended up on top of the rock. It's repairable, whether you do it yourself or not is really only a question you can answer. Will you feel comfortable out in a rough sea
    with weather closing in and several guests on board while a hand full of new problems develop as the sun sets?

If you do choose to DIY, I would encourage you get professional direction throughout (i.e. hand holding)

Good luck, Tom

9. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Might be worthwhile to contact the builder if at all possible and request that they use the original mold to lay up a new outer "chin". If not possible, maybe a sistership would be available to make a mold.
    Once properly positioned and fixed in place, the work is going to be all inside except final work outside to properly laminate and fair the edges of outer skin to the hull.
    It's a tricky job involving both technique and a practiced eye, but made far easier if a whole new piece can be molded.

10. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

AW, a one off from another equal boat is a great idea. Why did I not thunk of that. Tell him to put a lot of release on the other boat.

11. PAR

It could be faired up by a skilled laminator without a mold, but checking for core sheer and the amount of delamination is critical to success and specifically why I'd strongly recommend it be done professionally.

12. mark775

mark775 Guest

Great advice y'all. I am right behind Par on this. Put together about fifteen thousand and I'll meet you in September. (tongue-in-cheek but that's about what it's gonna' take, not counting unseen damage.)

13. PAR

I don't think 15K is a reasonable guess, likely much lower, unless there is extensive delamination. Some delam is clearly present, but how far back will require a careful exam.

14. mark775

mark775 Guest

I lose money on almost every repair job I do so now just consume chemicals and grinding dust for fun and support my family elsewhere. I've gotten to the point of estimating everything a little high and end up losing LESS money. I do keep a few guys employed in winter here.
    For this project, I am making an assumption that there will be more damage than what meets the eye. From Par's posts, he IS more knowledgable than I - so go with what he says.

15. keith66

keith66 Senior Member

A boat with a hole like that will be shaken up from end to end. It will need a thorough inspection/survey to find out how far the damage has spread.
    As Par has said it is repairable but will be a big job. I have done more than a few similar smashed boats & they are never the same twice. If you can find a sister ship & persuade (pay the owner) You could take a light splash mould from it.
    If no sister ship is available reshape or pud up the damaged area till its fair then take the splash from that. Then cut the entire damaged area away & feather the edges in. Do not underestimate the huge amounts of itchy dust that will be generated in clouds. You will spend day after day probably weeks grinding glass until you itch like you have a farm full of crabs. Wear a decent respirator or die. On the plus side it could be repaired to full strength with little or no sign of its accident.