Playing around with a 10 m trailer cruiser

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by marshmat, May 30, 2007.

1. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Yeah - I agree with Tom - stop yapping and start building!:D

I also doubt that there'd be an appreciable difference between the two chine shapes as far as roll goes. True, a chine flat will dampen roll to some extent, but yours is a relatively narrow boat so the motion is unlikely to be snappy regardless.
    Rounded chines are generally accepted to add about 1 - 1.5 degrees to the trim angle. I doubt this will be the case with either your boat or mine as the chine is actually hard for much of the aft part of the boat. There will be a loss of lift as a result of excluding a chine flat, however. As Tom eluded to, I plan test the boat and see how it performs without it 1st. Same with the size and location of any spray rails. I'll be happy to share the results of those trials... if the boat ever gets into the water!!!!

2. Willallison

Just to give some inspiration Matt, here's a couple of pics to show my boat's progress.....

Attached Files:

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Dammit guys, you're making me jealous! ;)

Will & Tom- In case I haven't said it enough times already.... your ideas, support and encouragement are proving to be extremely helpful. It's wonderful to hear from friends who have been through the process.

At the present time, I have a thesis, a couple of (very time consuming) research projects, and a job hunt on the go. It will be a little while yet before I can get my hands on some shop space (actually, I'd be happy with a field in which to lay down some asphalt and a poly tent, but....)

I doubt you'll be bringing the new girl up to Canada anytime soon, Will... although she looks like she'd be right at home around here. Tom- I recall reading on your site that you took "Liz" through the Trent-Severn a few years ago; feel free to drop me a line if you ever decide to do the Rideau :)

4. Willallison

All you need is a little guidance Matt.
    Thesis can be on hullshapes. Given the similarities between our two hulls, you can consider mine to be your research project.
    As for the last bit - forget the job - you won't have time for it once you start building!;)
    Seriously, I understand your frustration - I've spent the past 5 years 'between boats' and in spite of being lucky enough to have access to a number of them, it's just not the same as having your own. On the upside, you'll be able to benefit from my rather expensive model tests:p

No, sadly it's unlikely that I'll be dragging her all the way over there... but should never say never....

5. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

6. leep

leep New Member

Willallison,

Is there anywhere I can read up on your project of building your boat from beginning to where it's at now?

Lee.

7. watchkeeper

watchkeeper Previous Member

Hi Matt,

I read your comments re the Hamilton H279 water jet.

Some info that may be useful. In 2006 I did some feasibility development studies based on replacing stern leg with water jet in Hurricane RHIB used for patrol/MOBEX in deployed frigates. The proposal was utilize the existing Volvo 200hp series engines. Performance on the modified RHIB was good, max speed 40K with vastly improved handling.

What we did observe was the 200hp in a RHIB was just sufficient with no reserve. Later in another project in Europe I did the same for a superyacht tender this time using a 350hp Yanmar. The extra hp made a vast difference in acceleration, top speed and manouvering.

One big advantage I had with the Hamiltons that other water jets lack is the ability to install a shim under the intake riser to vary the pitch angle - adjusting the bow rise at speeds. This required either reworking or shim packing the transom recessed mount flange but that was'nt a biggie compared to the flexiblity I gained in ride adjustment.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  8. Willallison

Lee
    There's a bit of info on my website www.imaginocean.net
    Go to the Designs / Graphite page. With the launch only a few weeks away, I will be updating soon. When I get a bit of time, I'll start a thread showing the construction sequence.
    Here's a pic in the meantime:

Attached Files:

9. Lt. Holden

Lt. Holden Senior Member

Will,

Beautiful build! I'm curious, why the blunted edge on the stem? Is it finished or waiting on another faired piece?

10. Willallison

:D LOL
    No - it's just a styling thing. It looks a bit more prominent in the pics that in real life. The boat could just as easily be built with a sharper stem.
    I took the idea from a lot of racing yachts, that also feature blunt bows - though you will see it also on the odd Wally these days.
    It sits well clear of the water, so has no effect on anything other than the styling

11. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Damn, Will, she's starting to look really, really good :) Even among megayachts, something like that will stand out.

I would be awfully tempted to cut a stainless steel plate to the exact shape of the blunted edge on the stem.... a bit of an homage to the old Gar Wood and Chris-Craft runabouts.... and also as a defence against dock and pier edges.

Your guests are going to have one amazing view from the saloon, with that much glass!

12. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Looking great Will. When does she touch water? Did you do any testing for spray control or is your solution intuitive?

13. Willallison

Thanks guys
    Matt - I may well put some plate on the bow - being vertical exposes it to damage from the anchor as well. The bow sprit is as long as it could practically be... we'll see.
    Yes, the cockpit / saloon has turned out even better than I'd hoped. I intentionally maximised this space for obvious reasons and I think the result will be a pleasant place to while away the hours...

Tom - I fully expect to have to add at least one, and possibly two spray rails. I decided to leave them off until I've done some on-water testing, so that I can accurately place them for best effect.

Launch date is a bit of a rubbery thing;) Hopefully in the water on the 23rd... if the weather improves so I can access the slip.

14. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Yeah, I hear you. When I launched my first prototype, it was a little pre-launch launch with only three others attending. Chicken? Maybe, but it sure made my stomach calm down, especially when she floated right on her lines and met performance predictions.

15. Willallison

Yes - secret squirrel launch 1st. Tell the world when you know you've got something to crow about!!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.