New sportfishing design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mmd, Jul 17, 2005.

1. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Hope I'm not out of line here...

I thought that maybe you folks would like a peek at a new design I've created for a client builder, Hennessey Yachts of Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. The hull is based on a proven commercial fishing boat design, with a few tweaks to improve aesthetic apperarances. The Hennessey 45 is 45 feet LOA, 14 feet BOA, and draws 3-1/2 feet. Although the firm, round-bilge hull doesn't have the speed potential of her hard-chined cousins, it is more than compensated for by her comfortable ride and sea-keeping abilities. I know this first-hand from taking the prototype from Ocean City, Maryland to Shelburne, Nova Scotia via Montauk and Martha's Vinyard in 55 hours (plus a 12-hour layover for fuel, a barbeque, and an evening out in Montauk). Average seas were 6-8 feet, with 12-15 off Cape Cod for six hours.

Powering can be either by a single diesel or twins, up to 1100 hp. The prototype was fitted with a 430 hp Cummins, and maintained a comfortable 16 knots in six-foot seas. At the approaches to Shelburne harbour we clocked on GPS at 19.8 knots at WOT. With twin 540-hp diesels, we expect to see 28 to 30 knots.

The interior is arranged for four in a vee-berth master and twin bunk cabin below, with a large head with full shower. The galley is up, and a large settee and twin reclining seats make up the salon. A large cockpit (115 sq. ft.) with plenty of storage and a wet well makes the business end of the boat capable of handling the largest of gamefish (we fish for half-ton bluefin tuna around here).

Hope you like it...

[​IMG]

2. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Thanks for sharing this with us Michael; it is so far out of my league I can only say, WOW! Congratulations, I hope many are built, you certainly should be proud.

Gary :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.