plate screwed on the piston skirt - MTU marine diesel engine

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by mmi, Jun 10, 2008.

1. mmi

mmi New Member

Hi all,
    I hope some one from this forum would be able to answer my following question. We were overhauling a MTU marine engine and found some peculiar plates screwed inside the piston skirt. Please find the attached photograph.

Could any one of you please let me know what exactly the purpose of this plate is?

manu.

Attached Files:

2. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

They appear to be different sizes. Possibly to balance the piston? Might search for a MTU web site to ask the question.

3. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

I am informed the plates are to assist stop excessive heat transfer. The pistons have oil sprayers and the plates hold the oil from falling away back into oil pan too quickly.

I did not know this, had to ask a very clever MTU trained fella from Brisbane. He has been away for a while working so only got the message this afternoon.

4. mmi

mmi New Member

Thank you very much.

Thank you very much for the time and effort taken to answer my question.

Manu.

5. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

mmi,

My pleaseure, it really bugged me that i did not know, so now we are both happy!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.