Plate alloy kit construction?

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by marco.., Aug 16, 2006.

1. marco..

marco.. New Member

I am considering purchasing a alloy kit to construct myself. Considering something like: http://www.platealloy.com/6metre.htm or similar.

I have some experience in fabricating, am mechanically ok, but would by no means consider myself an expert. I enjoy building things and of course there are significant cost saving by doing it yourself. I figure it would probably take a year or so to complete the project working most weekends?

Does anyone have any experience with similar projects and any experiences they would like to share or advice?

2. stuart

stuart Junior Member

Marco,

I would consider Adam Scwetz from www.nomadmarinekits.com, He is great at what he does plus he designs kit boats for the beginer. I have purchased a 7mtr center consol from him with a few mods done for my own style of game fishing. I cant recomend him highly enough.

Stu

3. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

I would say that patience and attention to detail are the main things that you need. Taking as much time as you need and following the instructions closely, particularly in the early stages with hull bottom and structure. Boats in this range build from kits are surprisingly forgiving if you make a small mistake (I don't know why)
    http://boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10911
    We kitted this boat up. There were a few boo-boos during the assembly of this one, but it still came together brilliantly. The assembly time required on this was about 120-150 hrs. not including paint. Then again we have industrial tools and expert tradespeople.
    PS you can't do the job by yourself-get as many friends in on it as possible.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.