Clear Infusion Epoxy

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Fgayford, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Fgayford

Fgayford Junior Member

Hi Guys.
    I have another hurtle to over come.I am interested in making parts by infusion. I would like the parts to have the surface very clear and Uv resistant.
    You know, that wet carbon fiber look I see around.
    I am in Ontario Canada and can find painfully little information on where to buy this type of resin. Or what its called. It seems its another guarded dark secret in the composite industry.
    Thanks
    Fred

2. Herman

Herman Senior Member

The wet look you are after is in 100% of the parts achieved by clearcoating the part.

Although you can reach a decent look by using a clear in mould coating of some sort (many use duratec) the really wet look is all paint.

In infusion without any coating the fiber will be on the extreme outside of the product, on the surfact, which will always give it a dull (but not unpleasant) look.

Oh, and any epoxy needs UV filtering clear coat, to prevent yellowing.

3. Fgayford

Fgayford Junior Member

Thanks Herman.
    So thats how they get the clear look. I have read at various sites that there are water like clear epoxys that have a degree of uv protection in them. But its hard to nail down a supplier or product name. Are you aware of a brand or name?
    Thanks
    Fred