Plastic Hull

Discussion in 'Materials' started by BillB, May 26, 2004.

1. BillB

BillB BillB

Kayaks are made of very tough plastic, what is it, and can I build a pontoon hull with this material? Can it be sprayed into a mold?

2. Misogynist

Misogynist Junior Member

I saw on the tube the other day how they made kayaks out of plastic... they had a big rotary mold made entirely out of metal that was filled with plastic beads and then put in a huge oven. While the mold was rotated on it's lengthwise axis... the oven tilted from end to end... that oven must have been at least 25 feet long and 4 feet tall and wide... it was amazing. After the mold had cooled from it's maximum temp of 350f.... they split open the mold and out popped a new kayak... complete with color logo molded right into the side.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the world or roto molding. Basic shake and bake kind of stuff. This isn't the type of thing that lends itself well to the backyard builder, unless your uncle has a big oven with 25 foot rotisserie . . .

4. BillB

BillB BillB

Plastic Hull Materials

So far I found some data on kayak construction. Most are rotomolded from PE, polyethylene, or LLPE. This stuff is almost indestructible! Like you people mentioned, it takes a factory to rotomold kayaks and other products. I have a inquire to DOW Plastics, the makers of the chemicals that make PE, to see if this stuff is sprayable. If it is, I think by a Hot Spray method, what a coating it would make on and sub-base hull materials! I will up load any data they send.
    Thanks again for the input. BillB

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.