Plastic Barrel Houseboat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by WDKinley, Jul 17, 2018.

1. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Thinking laterally (or vertically rather) - in view of how there are concerns about the amount of reserve buoyancy you will have (and these concerns are justified), how about positioning your barrels vertically instead of horizontally?
    Your lbs / inch immersion will then stay constant, whereas with horizontal barrels it decreases rapidly once you pass the 50% immersion.

Here is a diagram I saved some time ago - I think I got it from the Rolling Barge site. I had mentioned two hulls, each being 3 barrels wide - you could do the same with vertical barrels, with a 2' gap between the hulls.

Attached Files:

BlueBell likes this.
  2. rafter33

rafter33 New Member

Something like this? Searching for Huck in Balkans https://www.facebook.com/SearchingForHuckInBalkans/photos/a.361862021239815/362815867811097/?type=3&permPage=1

3. WDKinley

WDKinley Junior Member

4. rafter33

rafter33 New Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.