Plascore Stitch & Glue

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by hardcoreducknut, May 11, 2012.

1. rruth

rruth New Member

2. RobertRichardson

RobertRichardson New Member

Good morning. I am looking into use a Plascore produce to make a 12 foot rowing skiff. I note that Plascore has been around for quite a few years.
    Can anyone suggest what type of Plascore to use. I see that Plascore offers some options. With or without a non-woven polyester veil. With or without a film barrier.
    Which product is best for a rowing boat?
    I will be using resin, with fiberglass. Stick and glue construction.
    Any information or guidance is appreciated.
    Robert

3. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Plascore is a great product for certain places in boat building. I have used with veil only. It is a fairly 'thirsty' core. You MUST wet the veil very quickly and a fair amount. For our purposes; we used about 1 oz resin per square foot to wetout the veil. You must do so very quickly or the resins will leak down into the combs. We were using triaxial glass with our work and so a tops down wetout was not possible and we tried. But the veil was simply not wetted enough without wetting it alone.

The edges of plascore are not adequate for exposure. You must either change cores or prefill the edges or deal with the nightmare of fill later.

I would not bother using a non-veil plascore. I don't know how it is used and would have concerns about bond strength.

They also make a plascore for vac I have not used, but wish I had a bit. My trouble was my vac table was too narrow at 49". Plascore panels have the unique ability to be ordered at 60" wide by 120" long.

I can offer you more help if you ask more questions.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.