plans to cut a small assymetric spinnaker

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by alyne, Jul 26, 2007.

1. alyne

alyne Junior Member

Hi

I want to make a small (read 25-30 square foot) assymetrical reaching spinnaker for my kayak. Can anyone point me to a resource on how to shape such a sail? I suppose all I'm after is a picture of the templates I would need to cut, just to get a rough idea of how I would get a half decent shape. Bearing in mind my main sail is a polytarp jobbie may give you an idea of the accuracy I am after :)

Another question, I am fairly sure I know how to rig this up to easily deploy and dowse, however again I am struggling to find a resource describing the basic setup of an assymetric on a typical dinghy so I can check my thinking. So again, if anyone can point me to a web resource that would be great.

Thanks in advance
    Andy

2. gggGuest

gggGuest ...

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

small asy

You could try Sailrite kits; they may sell a plan you could use.
    Sailrite sail kits
    Address:http://www.sailrite.com/
    Or contact Sandy Goodall who specializes in sail design and might have a stock plan-never hurts to ask.
    Sandy Goodall Sail Design Consulting
    Address:http://www.sandygoodall.com/ Changed:8:07 PM on Wednesday, November 29, 2006

4. alyne

alyne Junior Member

Thanks both. Doug, I have tried mailing both resources you suggested. I suppose at the end of the day a sailmaker wouldn't charge too much to draw me out a set of plans for that size anyway.

All the best
    Andy

5. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Alyn;
    Your going to put an assy on your kayak? Whatever kind of yak do you have? Does it have amas? Where will you put the board that you'll need when reaching? The assy is going to stick up 10 feet or so above the deck line and that means you'll generate a notable overturning moment. Add that to the force of the main and you have a wild and crazy kayak.

Why not use a simple jib instead of the fuller cut assy? No poles or bow sprits to deal with, and you can use the jib to help get to windward. That is if, and only if, you have a lee board, dagger board or something to keep the boat from sailing sideways. Tell us more about your boat and rig. Sounds like too much fun to miss.

6. alyne

alyne Junior Member

Some pictures of my kayak sail setup

Hi Messabout.
    Thanks for the interest. Since a picture speaks a thousand words I have put a few pics on this link:
    http://rxmarine.co.uk/scupper.html

I will eventually get round to building a lee board and rudder, probably amas also, but my main interest at the moment is in being completely over powered with sail, sailing on the edge on a nice broad reach :)
    I'll try the asymmetric sail idea first and see how I get on. At least this time I am making more progress than with my last mad idea:

http://www.rxmarine.co.uk
    :confused:

All the best
    Andy

7. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Judging by the picture on Rxmarine, I think you are in for some thrills. Some of them will be wet ones so I trust that the river Exe is warm enough for survival.

I think you could have done a hull like an international ten meter canoe and satisfied most of your aims while enduring fewer acrobatics. The IC will, arguably, be faster on average than the kayak. My reasoning is based on the belief that the kayak will probably not exceed a SL ratio of 2.5. The IC will plane readily and go faster than SL=2.5 in the bargain.

All that aside, the RX1 is a sharp looking boat. Not my cup of tea but sharp anyway. Of course you know that Rx is an abreviation that means prescription or recipe. Not a bad designation for your project.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.