Greetings all, new guy here in AZ and UT

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Bill55AZ, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Bill55AZ

Bill55AZ Junior Member

I am retired, and am getting into boat repair and selling. The goal is to buy, fix up, and sell until I have earned enough to get a fairly new boat that will suit the needs of our growing family. We have 2 kids, and 6 grandkids so far, oldest grandchild is 9, so the current thing to do is mostly fishing from the boat. I currently have a 1970 IMP Aztec and have heard many good things about the builder of this boat. It has some rot in the wood parts from years of sitting in the rain without being covered, and the flooring has a few soft spots, but overall it is in good condition.

I am wondering what other older boat brands are built well enough that the hull is likely to still be in good shape after many years of sitting neglected in a back yard. My son likes to do interior and trim work, I am somewhat skilled in mechanics, so between us, we can do most of the repair work without having to call in the pros, but we need to know what to avoid, or better yet, what to look for when we are shopping for our next fixer upper....
    thanks, Bill

2. hansp77

hansp77

Hey Bill.
    I am no pro,
    but from my own experience at restoring my boat, and just from what people say in general, restoring a boat is rarely economically profitable.
    Commonly even if you completely discount the time you put it, and only cost materials, then it still comes out as a loss.
    Hey it may may work... but..
    With just the skills you have mentioned, and I am sure that you both have more, you might be better off just working a paid job and saving the money to buy the actual boat you want in good condition. This is of course no fun.
    At the very least you could just aim to restore one boat instead of lots of them.

I would think that the more work you do, the less likely you will make money.
    The best chance of making money, IMHO, would be to buy boats that have very little wrong with them, other than needing a clean up and a paint job.

When you start getting into any decent repairs, even free boats can cost more than their worth.

So if its for the money, I would be very carefull.
    If of course it is just because you wanto do it for the pleasure of it, like the rest of us crazies, then jump right in.

Best luck.
    Hans.

3. Bill55AZ

Bill55AZ Junior Member

Well, no one needs very many technicians any more, especially now that everything is going digital and will self diagnose. Besides, I am over 60. The jobs that are out there are going to younger people. So I have plenty of free time on my hands. We got this boat really cheap, and barring any major repairs needed, we can't help but make about $1000 on it. We will take that money and get another, and keep doing it til we know what we are doing. Beats watching television, eh?

4. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

Hi Bill,
    I knew a fellow who successfully did what you are wanting to do. But he did not buy boats. He bid on insurance repair jobs. And he did not bid low. He made money on the jobs he got.

5. hansp77

hansp77

certainly does beat watching television.
    I think the problem is, especially with old wooden boats, that rather than barring any major repairs- you might want to assume a couple of them:eek: :eek:

One of the other main hassles is that it can take a bit of time to sell a boat:eek:
    if you have a bit of capital behind you, so you don't have to wait for one to sell to buy the next, then that will help, and you can hang out for the price you want- but selling in a hurry aint exactly going to haul in the maximum profits.

I wish you the best of luck in this venture-
    and I hope my sceptiscism and warnings proove to be unnescessary.
    Just be very carefull what you buy.
    One bad boat could eat away the entire profits from the last four or more.
    Happy restorations.
    Hans.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.