plans for very fast 30 ft beachable mono?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jmargars, Jan 18, 2008.

1. jmargars

jmargars New Member

I need a fast boat for a solo atlantic race with max length 30 ft.
    I keep the boat on an exposed beach so that keels and rudder must lift.
    I had a Ron Holland Super Seal 26 ft, with 82kg dagger board which went upwind well and took the beach. I want something a bit bigger and faster.
    I got excited about an Owen Clarke open 30 called Maverick which had a lift keel then found it had an exposed bulb.
    I got excited about a Dix Mount Gay 30, which has a lift keel option - but again with a bulb!
    The Polish Designer Ginter has a Nautiner 30 with fully lifting keel and rudder but it is only Category C and has displacement of 3500 Kgs.
    Does anybody have any ideas?
    Ideally I would build in ply, foam of strip plank - unless anybody has any better ideas.
    Thanks for help.

2. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

dragonfly?

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The Mount Gay 30 has an optional lifting keel.

4. CarlosSan

CarlosSan New Member

You should talk to Nautiner builders, I bet they can modyfie swing keel wersion to the "B" cetegory acc to ISO, or You can write to one of the designers: Robert Ginter

5. jmargars

jmargars New Member

The request is for a mono and the only dragonfly I know is a tri?

6. jmargars

jmargars New Member

The request is for a mono, and the text pointed out the Mount Gay had a bulb on the lifting version.
    The only Dragonfly I know is a Trimaran and the Mount Gay seems unsuitable as it has a Bulb!
    any more suggestions from anyone?
    thanks

7. Erwan

Erwan Senior Member

Why not change your requirements ?

Your project is very attractive, especially for sailors leaving in place with large tidal amplitude.

For a small sportboat with bulb (Speedfeet 18), a sailor built a device in fiberglass which mimicks the hull's supports of the road trailer.

This device is anchored near the beach and it floats.

So when you arrive, you put your bow in the middle of this floatting device, then you use straps to maintain it at the right place and you can go, it will protect the whole hull from little rocks dammage, as the hull will remain about 20 cm above the ground (approximatively the bulb section).

This solutions is cost effective and does not require any trade-off at the expense of performance.

Cheers

EK

8. jmargars

jmargars New Member

Thanks, it is imaginative, but on the exposed site we sometimes have problems picking the mooring buoy up let alone trying to dock with this contraptioN and as you said it is for small boats
    Thanks for help

9. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

Lifting bulb keel with bilge-keels to keep it off the ground?

I like the idea of the "cradle". Especially if it were inflatable so that it could be easily stored.

Tim B.

10. longliner45

dragonfly is a english made monohull with duel keels

11. longliner45

my mistake,,I belive it is called ,,snapdraggon

12. jelfiser

jelfiser Senior Member

13. gouloozeyachts

gouloozeyachts Junior Member

We've got a semi-kit for a round bilge fast 30' yacht which can be modified to your requirements by equiping her with a re-tracktable hybrid bulb-wing ballast keel. The underside of that wing-bulb is following the contour of the hull when lifted into a cavity at the bottom. This cavity is the inside of the keel casing. At the top of the keel main blade is a GRP hollow plug which fits semi-snugly into the casing. This plug acts both as guide and as a 'seal' when the keel is lowered when sailing and its top should be well above the water line. For more details you can contact me at gouloozeyachts@absamail.co.za

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.