Double ender prop

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Bruce Boating, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Bruce Boating

Bruce Boating New Member

i posted about adding an outboard motor to my double ender....my new question is....would a inboard be a better design with just a prop on a shaft setup be better with a big tiller for stearing

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

How about posting some decent information, a photo, some sizes, weights, measurements?

3. Bruce Boating

Bruce Boating New Member

I was just thinking the same thing..... this was a old ship lifeboat sat 24 people... It is 21 ft long bow height is about 44 inches tall rear is about 55inches Width is7ft 3” a very stout hull...someone installed a propshaft i know where i can get my hands on an old 12hp diesel yanmar from a sailboat... any thoughts welcome

Attached Files:

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

That is much better.
    An outboard would be awkward, I agree. That centre partition would make an inboard "outboard hole" awkward structurally.

Yeah, I think a small motor, pref diesel, and run the prop out to one side, so you don't foul the rudder. For low speeds, the offset shaft would be no real problem, and if the fuel and steering is on the other side, not a balance problem.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.