Hull Types

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Casper, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Casper

Casper Junior Member

Dear to all,

Hi, There's something I would like to ask the experts on this forum if you will allow me. I'm a naval architect but I have more experience in large commercial ships. Since I'm just new in the boatbuilding specifically in small craft designs, I would like to ask about hull form types like Displacement, Planing, Semi-displacement or Semi-planing hulls. How do you categorized this hull types? Does it have to do with the deadrise? Can anybody among the experts give a brief description about this hull forms or can you recommend any book that tells a detailed descriptions for these hull types, because I'm writing a technical specifications for a Yacht and I have a problem in identifying which type of hull shall I call it although it is a v-type hull but I don't know if it has to do something with the deadrise.

If someone could give any info about it, it will be a great help for me and also for anybody who asking the same questions, and for that I would like to thank you in advance.

Regards,

CASPER:)

2. alpamis34

alpamis34 Senior Member

3. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Try Dave Gerr's "The Nature of Boats".

4. Casper

Casper Junior Member

Hi,

Thaks to you Alpamis the web is informative now it gave me a clear and brief description about the hull designs, and also to you Timgoz I'm sure Dave Gerr's books are good. I'm planning to buy some of his books.

Best regards,
    CASPER:)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.