Planning new escape hatch w/ walkthough windshield

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by the brain, Jun 24, 2022.

1. the brain

the brain Senior Member

Planning new escape hatch w/ walkthough windshield

My orginale escape hatch is a tad small an I have to contort my body to sqeeze though.

I really like to have a bow door w/ a hatch builtin.

Concidering a ski boat walk though windshield, then cut a hatch above it, imitating the lifeboat, then line the new hatch w/ top & bottom lip to prevent water intrusion.

1.do ski boat windshields have a air gap underneath the center section? Or is there a water seal under this section to keep water from entering?

I’d really like to walk from helm to bow though a door hatch.

Currently I have to walk backward out the cabin then climb up on to slippery gunnel hold onto roof grab rail to get to bow,kindof inconvenient.

Ideally I’d like a windshield w/ a hatch builtin see attached image white fiberglass vessel.

Plan B would be to imitate the lifeproof vessels hatch above the windshield door.

I would prefer to find a donor vessel that has a door/hatch that I could graft on.van side door sfety windows would fit hieht wise on each side of door.

My orginale windshield is like 70”wide x 19.5” height 2nd lower deck is like 3’ deep.
    I don't expect a prefect fit the used windshield thats available is a tad smaller 63"width x 14" hieght
    this would require conciderable fabbing.

I also expect to be able to see though the lower windshield as it currently is.

I've concidered relocating the lower windshields center post then making another post
    and ading a center swing out piece preferablley glass but will use alunimin if nessasary.

acess to bow is main objective, I'm also hoping for less wind resistanse while towing byopening bow and cabin doors.

yes I've concidered inlarging the orginal hatch but would prefer a door/hatch.

What do you Guys think, open to advice and suggestions Thanks. hatch an windshield conv.jpg
    hatch  door1.jpg
    hatch an door.jpg
    windshield.jpg

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  2. the brain

the brain Senior Member

here's another option a sliding door. of course this example is to tall. sliding door2.jpg
    or this style door w/ hinges that lifts upward
    upward liftedhatch an door.jpg
    not sure why this vessel even has a walk though windshield like how you gonna climb up there to walk though, makes no sense to me just saying.

3. the brain

the brain Senior Member

I didn't mention the lower windshields frame will remain only removing temper glass, the walkthough windshield will be flanged in on top of it thats if I go this route also under the bow skin there is a wooden frame.
    so there's very little surport removed. actuelley surport is inhanced. attach image of bulkhead which is part of the frame under the bow skin.

I'm leaning toward relcating windshields center post adding another post and fabbing a door in middle of windshield. then a smallish flip up hatch in lower deck.
    bow redo1.jpg
    also planning to either lower or remove cabins bow decking and replace w/ a lateral bin like this adds even more surport.what do you Guys think?
    6a856318c6a6d195bdbe93626ca7b4db.jpg

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I don't like the slide much. The lift hatch and the hinge would be my way.

Having a hard time understanding the space without a drawing, tbh

5. the brain

the brain Senior Member

33 footer.jpg at the momete untill I take more images.the blue lifeproof police vessel an this white yaht, is as close to a drawing I can provide
    isn't there a thread on this subject? this mod will put my vessel in yaht status like the white vessel.