Bizarre new amphibious vehicle

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kengrome, Dec 13, 2007.

1. kengrome

kengrome Senior Member

Here's a picture of something from China that looks like a strange new ambhibious vehicle:

[​IMG]

If those paddle wheels are strong enough to travel over land it might just be useful in swampy areas as both a boat and an overland vehicle, at least for short distances, assuming the hull doesn't leak of course ... :)

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Something to do with rice paddies perhaps ? Thast actually solved an idea i have been thinking about - well done

3. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

bingo!..it is powered by the ubiquitous 'pony motor' that is owned by practically every Chinese farmer. Connects to his 3-wheel 'cart' to haul everything including the family...connects it to his irrigation pump for his paddies..connects it to his dynamo so he can turn his TV on at night..etc, etc. One power source quickly reconfigured for muyltiple uses...now including amphibious travel..LOL. Clever folks...

4. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

:D Are you sure it's not a lazy mans roto tiller?

5. kach22i

kach22i Architect

It will never fly.;)

6. nordvindcrew

nordvindcrew Senior Member

amphibious craft

it looks like the craft used around here (massachusetts USA) to paddle around cranberry bogs and break the fruit off the vine so that it will float up for harvest. Only a bit more finished looking.

7. yipster

yipster designer

beaching amphibius

dont really know why i keep seeing some square wheels in my head

Attached Files:

8. TerryKing

TerryKing On The Water SOON

And... 1000 boats

The Chinese really seem to like belt drive. You can hook almost anything to almost anything. Like boats. 2 days ago I saw this boat next to the high-rise I live in.. That 1-lunger small diesel that you mentioned, is here, driving a semi-fixed right-angle drive and prop. (Also notice the belt-drive "outboard" used as trolling / aux... and it's non-approved fuel tank hanging in the mesh above! Also the TsingTao bottle catching the leak from the injector pump... not to stop the oil sheen, but to pour back into the tank)!
    [​IMG]

I see and hear that diesel every day on the streets here, usually running a big air compressor to break concrete. China is ALWAYS "Under Construction". The 'cool' thing is the cooling, which is just a boiling-water jacket, like the 1910 water pump in my home town in Connecticut. There's just a little steam coming out the top, and someone dumps a pail of water in once in a while. The Marine versions seem to have a couple hoses from somewhere...

I've also seen this engine, and something that looked like a 2-cylinder version, driving a triple belt from the deck down into the hold to the drive system on a larger (maybe 40 foot) boat. Need to get a photo of that!

Some time I need to put together a good album of this stuff... There are a few here:
    http://www.terryking.us/photoalbum/main.php?g2_itemId=3197

9. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

You sure you're not chinese?:D:D:D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.