Series Drogue - Stern Transom Attachment

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by oldsalt1, Feb 3, 2008.

1. oldsalt1

oldsalt1 Junior Member

We have all heard the benefits of para-anchors, drogues and series drogues in heavy weather.

My preference is stern attachment using a series drogue. The question is can a transom above the deck support the pull of a bridle attached to the the port and starboard sides?:?:
    The vessel is steel, the transom where the Pad Eye or Eye Nuts will be attached is approximately 36" off the height of the deck making it easy to reach over the rail and shackle the bridle to the drogue. The steel vessel uses 3/16" steel.

The working load is about 5000lb, the breaking strength is 20,000lbs. on each side. In use, the transom effectively has handle a total pull of 40,000lbs. The transom width is 16 feet. The Pad Eyes will be mounted about 12 feet apart, thus about 2 feet in on the each side.

If anyone with engineering background can explain whether this type of load could damage the transom structurally or even pull the transom off.:confused:

Apparently, the transom attachment is the best way for a series drogue bridles, but the bridles can be attached to stern mounted deck cleats which can lead to chafe and does not work quite as well.

Thanks for all your thoughtful help and suggestions!!

2. OldYachtie

OldYachtie Junior Member

There should be framing to support the plates at the attachment points. I have read claims that an early Bruce Roberts steel design sank off the Bay of Biscay because it didn't have reinforcing frames and girders where the rudder skeg attached to the hull. I would want frames, girders, knees, stringers and a stanchion from the attachment points down to a fore and aft stringer, preferably to a big, heavy girder, all welded together into a box type structure, attached to my sea anchor / drogue attachment points, just as I would want them at sampson posts, rudder attachment points, and other potential high-stress areas.

3. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

Does the transom extend above the deck 36"?
    Or are the attachment points 36" below the deck?
    I am having trouble visualizing this setup from the description.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.