planking options for an Eel

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by InTheBeech, Aug 13, 2008.

1. InTheBeech

InTheBeech Junior Member

Has anyone any experience or knowledge regarding planking this great looking boat with plywood strakes? The plans aparently (per WB description) allow for everything but ply lapstrake, however this would be my choice with solid wood lapstrake a close second. Framing and transverse support might need to be modified and I am not capable of making those decisions.
    As another option, I would be willing to pay an architect to modify the plans for one of these options if anyone has any recommendations.
    Finally, all is not lost as the Drascombe from Watkinson (through R. Stewart) is quite similar to my eyes and is designed specifically for plywood strakes.
    Also, if I am missing any design options for 16-20 foot, traditionally shaped, trailerable, deep cockpit, protected-water boats with easily struck rigs of this style; please share. I've been looking mostly at these two designs.

Thanks All,
    Ed

2. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

You could probably do it, but it will take many strakes to come close to the original shape. Something like 7-9 strakes per side, perhaps more. Lots of fitting.....

Watkinson actually designed a 19'9" double-ended Drascombe boat called the Peter Boat. Four strakes per side, but plans have not been available for many years.

Who is R. Stewart?

3. InTheBeech

InTheBeech Junior Member

Tad,
    The Peter Boat is what I am refering to above so yes I am interested in this as well. I misspelled Mr. steward's name above. In WB's "Thirty Wooden Boats" a statement is made that the Peter Boat plans are "available through R. Steward." I haven't yet tried to contact him.

4. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

I certainly don't have that note in my copy of 30 Wooden Boats (1988). At publication all plans were being marketed by Wooden Boat.

I believe Robert M. Steward, author of the Boatbuilding Manual, passed away some years ago.

5. diwebb

diwebb Senior Member

Hi,
    Ian Oughtred has a selection of designs in lapstrake ply, one of which might meet your needs. One I really like is the Grey Seal, at 22 feet she is a little larger than the Eel but still trailerable and a beautiful looking boat. If you google Ian Oughtred you will find sites with his plans online.
    David

6. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.