Planing Wheels

Discussion in 'Surface Drives' started by Colin Wilson, Apr 30, 2018.

1. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Post a video of it in action!!!!!!!! Dying to see that thing fly across a pond

Doug Lord likes this.
  2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Not looking forward to hearing it, though...........

3. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Senior Member

While it may work (I reserve judgement till I see a video), you're expending a lot power just lift the hull... Much like a helicopter, even when it is hovering it requires a lot of power, and a 45 degree thrust angle is wasting about half the power you're putting into the system. The vertical component of lift is far more efficiently generated with a conventional planing hull when compared to this system. So while it may actually propel you across the water, efficiency is everything and this likely won't be nearly as efficient as something like the "Fast Track" at propelling the vehicle. The Fast Track, by comparison, while some water is ejected out the sides, the aspect ratio of the paddle element is actually very good, meaning that the efficiency of the paddle is acceptable. The water you see coming out of the sides of the fast track would be coming off any planing surface due to the pressure under it. The faster you go the lower the amount of water coming off of the tracks. You're trying to avoid the "digging down" aspect of a perpendicular paddle wheel as it exits the water, but the faster you go the lower and less important that is. On the Fast Track this is addressed by turning vanes that redirect the flow that is flipped up behind the track (that's the patentable aspect of the design). Since that is patented by Fast Track you can't use that method.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You should do a free body diagram of the paddles with the force vectors. I don't think 45 degrees is correct.

5. RAraujo

RAraujo Senior Member - Naval Architect

It reminds me of this...

6. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

With a bit of hook on the end of the blades, say something like a small aluminum angle or small strip of wood, it would have more traction. As it is, I can imagine it moving through water somewhat, but not on snow. In snow it would probably just sit there and spin and pack it down to make it more like ice.
    The best thing you could do is try it out and then see what actually happens and then figure out what might be needed.
    It seems more of a workable idea/thing than this River Roller! Pontoon Boat that Rolls Across the Water! https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/river-roller-pontoon-boat-that-rolls-across-the-water.57918/ but just imagining it will work doesn't mean much.

7. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

What is that, a demonstration of how slow it can go??

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.