mainsheet track spec

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by kim s, Sep 7, 2009.

1. kim s

kim s Junior Member

Well th re-building of the old Lively 28/Sparkle carries on apace and I am thinking about the reinforcing the load carring areas ie the mainsheet track.

I was looking at the Barton main track packeges. everything in 1 box. I have used them on a friends mono hull and although not as good as other on the market, I think they will be ok.
    My question for advice is----- On the spec,they rate them in boat size. up to 8.5 metrs and then 8.5 - 12 metres and 3rd option over 12 metres.
    Is the loading on a multihull maintrack Higher than a mono? As the boat is 8.5metres I am right on the cusp.
    YesI would like a Harken system, but as this is a cruising tri not a flat out racer, I cant justify the extra cost. BUT I am trying to not over engineer everything. type 1 ok or will I need the next size up type 2

Kim

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi Kim,

I'm not familiar with your particular boat, but as a general rule, most components of a multihull's rigging will be more highly stressed than their counterparts on a mono of comparable displacement. The mono, in a gust, will heel over, spilling some wind and reducing the loads; the multi will not.

When there is any doubt whatsoever about the proper choice of hardware- for any application- I always prefer to err on the too-strong side. "Right on the cusp" usually means the next size up is the suitable one; the smaller version might work for a while, but with a vastly reduced service life and/or a greatly increased chance of catastrophic failure.

3. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

The MD of Barton sails a Prout 38 so knows multihulls.

Having said that I would definitely not use the Type 1. Type 2 will be more suitable.

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

4. kim s

kim s Junior Member

mainsheet track

Thanks guys,

Thinking logically about it, as she will not heel, then the loading must go up compared to the mono.
    so type 2 it is.

Right thats that one sorted out.

now where did I out that chandelry catalogue:D

Kim

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.