Planing hull boat bow.

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by wavepropulsion, Mar 12, 2018.

1. wavepropulsion

wavepropulsion Pirate Member

[​IMG]
    Hi to all.
    I ever was curious about this wide bows (I don't know if is a spoon bow ). I seen the drawings in Paul Fischer N/A plans page, it is 26 foot and depicted as an offshore workboat.
    I know the garveys just by internet pictures and forums, and is said to be used in protected waters. Is this a garvey?
    Somebody has experience with this boats in a bit rugged waters?
    I know the scow won one of the lasts mini transat sailing, but was intended for going only downwind and planing, with some advantages in a reach too, but something like a pig into the wind.
    The advantages in stability can be better in planing motor boat. And the more inside room. But if nobody uses this design, other than carolina skiffs or aluminum boats for flat waters must be for one or several practical reasons.
    While planing, anyways the bow goes out of the water, and the rake probably can help to climb a wave instead of going trough it. I don't know how wet can be the boat if throws the spray ahead.
    Well, I'm an ignorant person, enlighten me, please. Thanks to all.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

That is a garvey. It will pound more than a deep vee, but less than a flat bottom. It is a reasonable compromise.

wavepropulsion likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.