Planing Hull at Disp Speeds

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Easy Rider, Feb 13, 2010.

1. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Thanks Leo for enlightening me.

I understand that "optimal" obviously going to vary by application, but I'm interested in first principals here. Taking no other factors into consideration, what I'm understanding is that a hull form that is symmetrical in both longitudinal and transverse axis is most efficient. Fore and aft asymmetry carries a drag penalty, but may have other advantages.

Thanks for your patience. I'm trying to understand the basic principals so that the trade-off in application make more sense.

2. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

You are going about it the right way then. (Michlet could help you visual some interesting investigations.)

You should also try to introduce constraints on the hull, one at a time, and see how they affect the resistance components. For example, restrict length, and see how it affects the best hull from some simple mathematical hull series. What happens if you constrain the LCB or LCF to lie in a specified range? etc etc.

Have fun!
    Leo.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.