Plan to fit sail kit - Any reccomendations?

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by DrewBird, Jan 16, 2004.

1. DrewBird

DrewBird New Member

Hi All,

I have been interested in building a small sailboat for a couple of years. Ideally I would like to make a car-toppable boat capable of being sailed by one, but that could carry two at a pinch. Construction needs to be simple, as this is my first time ;)

The thing is, that last year a friend of a friend was selling an old (1970's) 10 ft Metzeler inflatable with a sail kit. I had never seen anything like it, so bought it for $350 CAD thinking that the sail kit would be useful for my future boat building plans. What made it worth it, for me, is that the mast is sectional. Each of the four pieces slots into each other, and then into a base plate on one of the wooden floor sections of the boat. A sectional mast makes my dream of a car toppable sailboat even more real as I can fit and secure the mast (in its sections), inside the boat. The inflatable itself is in pretty poor repair, so I will probably try and patch it up enough to use it as a rowing dealy, but I now have the time to look properly at the building of a sailboat.

My question is this, and don't forget it is a very naive question from a newbie. What information do I need to compile about the sailkit in order to match it to a boat plan, or is such a match very unlikely to be successful? Also, any reccomendations such as a type of boat or boat plan would be welcome. I currently own an Enterprise which I have a great deal of fun with. However, the thrill of sailing a boat that I had built, even if it didn't perform as well as the Enterprise, would be quite the kick.

Any and all help or advice welcome and appreciated.

DrewB.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The surface area is the most important. If the shape is not exactly what the plans call for it shouldn't make a big difference. In small boats, the crew weight affects trim enough to compensate for small differences.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

OK, thanks. Now would I need to measure the mainsail and the gib? I had better get my highschool geometry books out. ;)

Your reply is much appreciated.

Drew.

4. Metzeler boat

The thing is, that last year a friend of a friend was selling an old (1970's) 10 ft Metzeler inflatable with a sail kit.

I have the same boat, but withoutn any instructions, also there can be some missing parts. Is ther possible to get any manual or ...

artur_vil@hotmail.com

5. briany

briany Junior Member

Hi, I found myself with a spare Enterprise rig and built a 12 1/2 foot ply dinghy to take the mast and both sails (cruising and racing) If you only have the larger sail it is worth having reefing points fitted.
    I used a Selway Fisher design called a Hobo. This weighs about 125 pounds and is quite easy to build. you might be able to adapt the inflatable rig but I would recomend the Ent rig. I have won several races with this and it will just take two.
    Selway Fisher are at 15 King Sreet Melksham Wiltshire England SN12 6HB
    Tel / fax 01225 705074
    Hope this helps, Briani