Plan to Build Wood Rowing Shell From Existing Boat

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by high510, Jun 3, 2014.

1. high510

high510 Junior Member

Brand new member with a planned summer project with my daughter... I plan to take various hull contour measurements and build a cedar plank shell from the measurements of the existing shell. The existing shell is fiberglass... Are there any issues using the dimensions of a glass boat to develop the plans for a wooden one? TIA

2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Are you planning on the traditional very thin steamed cedar planks or something like strip planking?

It might be easier just to get plans from Woodenboat, clcboats.com or others.
    There have been multiple discussion of shell plans in the recent past.

3. high510

high510 Junior Member

Cedar Plank/FG

Looking to replicate the boat she uses now.... In a cooler finish :)

4. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

What is it?

5. high510

high510 Junior Member

Single

FISA (she rows that) or a 2000ish Pocock... If the owner trusts me with a bit of masking tape and measuring tools...

6. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

I recently came across a kayak web site where the author set up a device for measuring existing fiberglass kayaks.
    It might be a "relatively" simple way to get lines off her boats without risking the boats or the finish.
    http://www.outdoorplace.org/paddling/lines/lines.htm

7. high510

high510 Junior Member

See 'Dat Right 'Der

Is why we do topical forums. Nice idea and thanks for the feed back. I could not find a contour gauge deep enough for the hull... It took me like two minutes to agree to build a boat with my daughter and had not thought on my own of making the contour gauge... Thanks again.

8. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

That sounds like the 2 minutes it took to offer to make a kayak for my son.
    9 months later.....

9. Petros

Petros Senior Member

when my daughter announced she wanted to build her own kayak (she was about 14), I asked "all by yourself?". she hesitated and said "with your help", I told her no problem, I can show her what to do. The week before we were out at a gathering of people who built kayaks to share and see each others work, there was an attractive young woman who teaches greenland kayaking skills, and took time to show my daughter how to do a self rescue and roll in a skin-on-frame kayak. The instructor said she had built the kayak her self, that really inspired my daughter to build one too. I emailed her to get some dimensions and ask a few questions about the details. That is when I learned her boyfriend actually built most of the frame, she sewed the skin on it and painted it.

No matter, i was happy to keep my daughter interested in building a kayak. Turns out when it came time to actually build the frame, my daughter had more important things to do with her friends. she ended up helping me put the skin on it, and decorating it with a compass rose on the fore deck. Actually that was more than I expected her to do.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.