New design a 22m motor boat - first shape of hull

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by micspoko, Jan 4, 2012.

1. micspoko

micspoko Senior Member

I am starting a new design. This isn't designed for client only doing an exercise. This is a first shape of hull and first sketch a superstructure. And I wonder what other whinking about this shape

Preliminar data:
    Lenght - about 22 - 23m
    breadth - 6m
    Draft - 0,8 to 1m
    Speed - 30 - 35 kn
    Bedrooms - 3 x 2 persons - double beds

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      61.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      228.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      229.4 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
  2. BPL

BPL Senior Member

Do you have a lines drawing? GA?

For the concept shape, I would like wider side decks. How do you catch a line on the bow?

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Looks like it would make a fine batten duck.

4. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

Please, oh, please micspoko, if you're doodling with ideas, drawings and plans, could you be generous enough to share sufficiently detailed plans, information and construction methodologies to actually build it?

If so, it might end up being the first ever "real" boat to have ever been built from the endless pages of pretty art class drawings and pipe dreams appearing in the boat design gallery.

James.

5. micspoko

micspoko Senior Member

I don't have much time to do this project but I have a lines plan and first sketch ga below main deck

In center line from superstructer to the bow it will by passage way and in middle of this passage way will be a couch

Attached Files:

6. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Get rid of that hump in the aft part of the hull bottom, you need straight buttocks there:
    lines plan mod.gif
    It will create a tremendous drag at 30+ kts (if it allows you to get to that speed), and might become a source of dynamic instability during the ride.

I would keep the cabin top flat, but that's a matter of personal taste.

Cheers

7. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Micspoko, I understand that You are not designing boat for construction. Sorry to say, with this understanding of hull shaping You need more theoretical study and practice.

I recommend to start from weight estimates and run parametric analysis of hull dimensions factors prior to drawing the hull....

And start from smaller boats!

8. micspoko

micspoko Senior Member

The shape of underwater hull will be changed I now about this hump but thanks for help. I wanted engines to sit a low as possible but it will be difficult to do this. I must try a few combinations with shape of hull and sit of engine and screw propelle

9. micspoko

micspoko Senior Member

Corrected shape of hull

Attached Files:

10. PAR

It'll never see 30 knots with buttock angles like that. Instead of fooling around with pretty pictures, a bit of time learning about hydrodynamics might be in order. In other words, why waste your time with things that can't possible work. Absorb the contents of "Principles of Yacht Design" then you'll have a much better idea why, this particular set of shapes, couldn't see 30 knots even if equipped with a 5,000 HP engine.

11. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Ignorance is the name of such attitude, PAR. Such 'designers' don't know, and don't want to know... They can use the software and make nicer renderings than You and me, so they call themselves 'designers' and believe they are the best :D

P.S. How often do we see lines plan drawn bow to the left? Most of pro's never do this way.

12. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Bow in either direction, I don't think I have ever seen a less workable bottom shape. Apparently it was done to fit the engine(s) lower but that may be the worse reason to do such a thing. I do not like to discourage any beginner but in this case, the OP should do the most basic homework before making any lines on paper or in CAD. It is fine to design around a chosen interior need but then, a good workable design must be fitted around it. This one is quite terrible and it would be a suspension of reason not to say so.

13. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

Hay cobber. Your web site says you are - have done - or wish you could design a "Dutch barge" - Like the others have said - not likely to happen. I'd stick to 'Dutch Barge' they don't go to far from land.

You stated that - you didn't have much time - so then - why bother all of us - we are very busy doing the real thing. Designing, building & sailing vessels that actually do work well.

Your wording - sounds very young - suggest you follow all the good advice above & then come back in 10 years after you get an education - but not at our cost. Ciao, & much good luck in 2012 - you're going to need all you can get. james

14. PAR

Many of my designs have the bow to the left. I do it both ways, which might explain a lot about me :D. In reality it depends on how your brain works, as to which you feel more comfortable with. The predominance of right facing bows, is likely more to do with the dominance of left brained designers.

As to the design above, well I think the lines and their match with the rudimentary SOR says it all about the designer's abilities, frankly.

15. BPL

BPL Senior Member

If you took the time to type all that, you can't be that very busy :rolleyes: ;)
    I assume the OP's specialty is rendering or interiors. I say do your research, don't stop. Good advice to start small and simple and with fundamental hull characteristics.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.