Pivot point on L foils

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Jim Caldwell, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Senior Member

I am setting up the foil trunks in the hulls and I want to be able to convert from T to L foils also. I am having trouble figuring out a lower pivot that I can change from the outside to covert back and forth form T to L foil. A recessed pin in the outside of the hull to take the weight and the bellcrank bridge to take the RM is all I have been able to come up with.
    Anyone have better ideas or examples???

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Jim, in the past I have used a sort of trunk within a trunk where the inner trunk would support the pivot pin near or at the bottom but would be fastened at the top of the outer(main) trunk. For an all moving foil you'll need some sort of bearing to take the side loads at the lower pivot and at or near the top of the board.
    ------

3. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Senior Member

That's a great idea, thanks Doug.

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Jim, you may know this already but all the AC 72's had a trunk within a trunk. That allowed the actuator to be attached to the inner trunk instead of directly to the board so the board+foil could be easily retracted.

5. kiwi_bob

kiwi_bob Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.