Pittwater to Coffs race

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Corley, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Morticia first, Indian Chief second and Team Australia in third on corrected time.

Attached Files:

2. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

3. oceancruiser

oceancruiser Previous Member

Do you know what handicap system they used for the multihulls and the source / ref

cheers

OC

4. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

5. oceancruiser

Thanks.

Have you had any personal experience with the rating of a vessel under this system..

I ask because the rules I think from memory with this system just state including fuel and water when weighed. It does not use the word full.

If it its enforced with full liquids then large fuel tanks and water tanks are a disadvantage.

Also adjustsments can be made at the discretion of the rating officer.

Discretion meaning Dictionary

The right to choose what should be done in a particular situation.

OC

6. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

We ran OMR at the recent Multihull Yacht Club of Victoria SOMR regatta. It seems to be a very good system for equalizing the field into a fair handicap situation. In large events (like Airlie Beach Race Week) with a good number of fast multis they tend to split the racing into divisions as the limitation is that a handicap like OMR can be skewed by the fast multis sailing into different conditions. Overall about a 8.5/10 and about the best method we have seen thus far. I've not been involved in a measurement day as yet I hope to get the opportunity this year. The measurement officer has discretion to allow or disallow certain sails if they feel they don't meet the spirit or intention of the rule.

From the current OMR preamble:

6. The boat shall be dry and bilges free from water. Water tanks and fuel tanks shall be empty or pressed up. If pressed up, the calculated weight of their contents shall be subtracted from WM. Portable toilets, or waste holding tanks where carried, shall be empty.

7. oceancruiser

Thanks.

There is also this clause.

6. Weight
    Weight of the vessel shall be measured with all fixed equipment and accessories which will be carried during racing as documented in the inventory but without crew, crew personal kit, or consumables, including water and fuel.

Do you know what the fee is approx to get a rating certificate in addition to the race entry fee is.

The measurement officer does he have legal advice available before using it to your knowledge or just his feeling depending on what he had for breakfast..

oc

8. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

It's rare for a measurement officer to disallow something but if it's an obvious attempt to circumvent the spirit of the rules like stitching an extra non functional area onto a sail to alter the rating they can refuse to measure the sail. I've heard of a few cases where someone has fronted up with a dubious sail and been refused measurement.

Most times the measurement officer are a volunteer and will do the work free of charge if they don't need to be flown in I'd have to check the cost of the actual certificate as I'm not sure on that front. IIRC at the Airlie Beach Race Week each boat being weighed chipped in about $100 towards the cost of the crane. The weighing is normally carried out with a crane and load cell as weigh bridges give inaccurate results.

Race boat owners are notoriously stingy with what crew can bring along and it is assumed they would carry the minimum amount of fuel and water possible while racing.

The MYCV's SOMR regatta is currently a $100 entry fee. Which includes berthing or hardstand on trailer at Hastings Yacht Club in Westernport Bay for the duration of the event. The committee is working to introduce some new racing formats to the event again as we used to have a stern chaser and an ocean race as part of the event but the mostly trailerable fleet has mostly favoured bay races of recent years.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.