Catharsis 26

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by terhohalme, Dec 22, 2007.

1. terhohalme

terhohalme BEng Boat Technology

Starting to build this small coastal catamaran to a small family for coastal and achipelago cruising in Baltic Sea.

Designing was quite a long and busy period. The boat was originally for plywood structure, but finally switched for sandwich. Wondering if Mr Woods can design similar size in 300 hours. The boat is designed using Rhino 3.0 and Rhinomarine modules to insure accurate cnc machining and speed building.

Her length of hull is 8.0 m and at waterline 7.5 m. Her beam is 5.0 m and empty weight approx. 900 kg while the maximum displacement is 1600 kg. There is a full standing headroom inside the hulls (1.8-1.85 m). Her sail area is 40 m2. The hulls are not too narrow, 8.2:1 since she is for cruising. Moderate L/B ratio makes her better loading and smaller resistance at lower (more common) speeds.

We compared several structures and finally found nidaplast-core in glass and polyester resin being the cheapest solution. Never built using nidaplast earlier, but the stuff feels good. The nidaplast plates will cnc machined and all flat panels infused.

The boat is designed and will be built according to EU standards of small craft.

More pictures are in my gallery.

All comments are wellcome.

Terho

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. ZanKat

ZanKat New Member

I like your Catharsis 26 design very much and may be interested in building one. Do you have full plans and/or templates availabe and if so, what is the cost?
    Thanks & Regards,
    Arthur Coleman
    Nova Scotia, Canada

3. terhohalme

We are starting to buil two protos as soon as we got the material (nidaplast). I have all structure parts modelled and we are ready to nc-machine them. The plans and building instructions will be ready during the prototyping prosess. The drawings sould be generated quite easy from the model, but I'd like to build the design as far as I am sure of the structure and bulding method.

I will soon open my site at
    http://personal.inet.fi/surf/halmeyachtdesign/

Pricing is not yet decided, but it will be reasonable and on common level. Only digital plans will be available, drawings and instructions in *.pdf format and nc-files in *.igs format (in need *.dxf or *.dwg). All dimensions will be metric.

4. ZanKat

ZanKat New Member

Thanks for you quick reply. Again, it is a great looking design and I will be interested to get more info and photos as they become available on this project. Digital plans would be fine, preferably in dxf format.

5. Nordic Cat

Nordic Cat Senior Member

Terho,

Congratulations on a neat design! Hopefully we will be seeing you at the IMM in 2009 in Copenhagen in your new boat???

Please keep us posted as the build comes along

6. terhohalme

Thanks, Tell me about targets...

7. Pat Ross

Pat Ross 1999 Hughes 30 Cat

Plywood to Sandwich

How difficult is it to change a build for a plywood design to a sandwhich? Is this something a builder can do himself? Does this require a complete new design drawing for a sandwhich build?

For example generally speaking a sandwhich build can allow for fewer bulkheads as compared to a plywood build. If a builder was to build a plywood designed boat using sandwhich of the same size as the ply design (i.e. 8mm ply was original design size, 8mm sandwhich used) with the designed bulkheads of the original plywood design, would that not be a successful approach?

8. JCD

JCD Follow the Bubbles!

Terho,

Congrat's! Very very nice and a job well done. Will there be a study plan for her? How much do you think she will cost to build all up?

I'm involved in my own design right now and plans are in the works for a prototype so I won't build the Catharsis 26, but depending on the price of the plans, I may purchase them as a "fundraising" donation toward your new design prototype and venture. Let me know when you decide on the costs.

Congrat's again.

Thanks
    J:cool:

9. terhohalme

If the builder is able to make the structure scantling and calculations, then why not. I wouldn't recommend. In EU, the builder is responsiple for sertification anyway...

10. terhohalme

No plans until one is launched and tried. The cost of material, equipment rig and sails is some 30 - 40000 €. Lot of standard stuff on deck and in rig.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.