piss-poor boat plans!......

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Caldera Boats, Dec 23, 2005.

1. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

You are so right, I have allways enjoyed dealing with Australians. (and New Zealanders)
    Bert

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  2. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Off topic for this thread, but if the machine you bought is one of those 3 in 1 lathe/mill/drill combinations, good luck on your 316 stainless. The cheap 3 in 1 machines are fundamentally useless for any of their purported tasks.

Second point, depending on where the stainless was to go and what it was to do, perhaps 304 was good enough. Hell, I use 303 for some things because it machines so beautifully. Not below the WL exposed to salt water however.

On plans, I bought mine from a designer who'd actually built 5 hulls himself from his design, in his own yard. I've nearly finished welding my hull together and the only real problems have been mine due to lack of experience and regardless, it's come together fine. If I were to build another one of the same design it'd be a lot faster and if I decide to build a larger boat in steel I'll buy the plans from the same designer as I know the hull can be built to the plans provided.

PDW

3. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

I seem to be doing fine., but I have special bits and drills.

I tried to illustrate that a builder could deviate from their designer and there will be a dispute and breakdown. Unfortunately I am dealing with salt water and like to stick to 316.

I am pleased you have a good relationship and trust with this designer. It illustrate my point that it boils down to the relationship between designer and amateur boat builder. Show us some photo's, love to see your progress.
    Bert

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.