What is this boat!?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by digitalspy, Jun 5, 2012.

1. digitalspy

digitalspy New Member

Hi guys,

I have just been given this boat. It needs sanding back and a fresh coat of paint but is structually sound! I have the full interior, moto, windows and rubber bumper (not great with nautical terms but like to get my hands dirty!) for the boat stored in the dry in my garage for now...

But what model is the boat? Its 16ft

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Your registeration should say.

3. digitalspy

digitalspy New Member

There isn't any I don't think. This boat has been out of the water a long time. We were given this as a project.

Its for use on the Norfolk Broads, so once its done we will register the boat and have the necessary checks/ tests legally carried out. Just want to know what boat I am working with so I can look for parts :)

4. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Don't spend a penny on boat till you if legality. It may be someone else's boat or worse.

5. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Take a look at the transom, on the starboard side, typically near the top there should be a series of letters and numbers. These are called the hull I'd numbers. Assuming the boat was built free 1972 they will be there, boats before that, well they might.

Those numbers tell you the manufacturer, Hull serial number, Date of certification, and possibly the build date. You can plug it into google, or a HIN web page and get back the info you need.

6. digitalspy

digitalspy New Member

Hey thanks, will take a good look tomorrow! I am pretty sure there are no numbers anywhere. But thanks, will give it a look ;)

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

What makes you think the hull is sound?

8. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Maybe in the USA that is applicable, but this chap is from England where boat laws may be different.

In SA which are much the same as GB and part of the common wealth, we actually do not have those on locally built boats that Im aware of. Seen these numbers on a few USA imported boats I worked on in the past like Bayliner for instance.
    The best you can hope for in a boat built in my country is a little tag with the manufacture's name and if lucky a serial number which is riveted to the hull somewhere. As for boat registration here, you only need a buoyancy certificate (boat particulars) and COF (Boat & owners particulars) on which the basics are stated like owners name, ID number of owner, boat name, make, LOA, beam, engine power, boat colour and thats it. And every year the COF expires and a new one must be issued by an appointed agent (like myself) and if boat was sold in meantime, we simply put in the new owners data with boat's.

HIN is not a reality here yet to register a boat...

9. digitalspy

digitalspy New Member

We have thoroughly check it over, sanded it right back now ready for a re-paint. A bit of wear and tear as to be expected but nothing a little work cant fix.

I think I have managed to get hold of the original paper work from a family member so should find out the boat model then :D

thanks all!

10. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Have you checked the transom, stringers and sole?