Lines take-off

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by goolawah, May 10, 2006.

1. goolawah

goolawah Junior Member

I would be interested in any suggestions about techniques for using one or more modern, builders laser levels, to take-off the lines/offsets of a boat standing on the hard (obviously). Like this one.

Attached Files:

2. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

3. goolawah

goolawah Junior Member

Wow, that was quite a thread. I'll read through it carefully and see what I can learn.

As far as splashing goes, the question was for someone who wants to make a scale model of an old boat in a musem (as pictured).

He's not ripping anyone off. Just loves the boat, which is an old pearling lugger.

4. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Then I would suggest making a vertikal grid along the boat, if the boat is vertical, otherwise paralell to the center plane of the boat. For a model I think 5 or 6 stations will do. This can be done with thin rope or string or wire. Then measure the distance frome the grid points to the hull. Make a sketch of the stations and then draw a smooth lines plan.

Or try Rhhino :)
    Example:
    http://www.3drender.com/rhino/boathtml/index.htm

5. chandler

chandler Senior Member

As far as splashing goes: One of the continueing advices from Howard Chapelle's
    "Yacht Designing and Planning"; argueably the definative work on yacht design, is to "compare to the clippings". Clippings being lines drawings from the Rudder and other publications of the time. Unfortunately the lines in most modern publications are just approximate renderings, perhaps leading people to incorrect conclusions of a hulls shape.
    The Atkins obviously made a living designing boats and were always willing to share those basic ideas in the Rudder as lines plans, even basic accomadation plans,sail plans etc.
    I don't understand where you guys get off thinking you have a new hull form that needs to be protected, after all you copied it to some extent from a hull you saw somewhere else.
    I don't believe a plan should be copied, however there are many designers who do not sell the plans of boats they have produced.
    What is one to do if they fall in love with a design and the plans are not for sale, do your best to copy it!

6. chandler

chandler Senior Member

By the way goolawah,
    do you have any more pics of the lugger?

7. goolawah

goolawah Junior Member

Not yet. I am told by a contact at the Queensland Maritime Museum that they plan to take the lines off the lugger (Penguin), but that project has been put on the back burner because of a more pressing one which was repairing the dry dock so that the frigate Diamantina and the lightship Carpentaria could be preserved.

You can see he story at this link http://www.maritimemuseum.com.au/museum/dry-dock.htm

Both vessels have now been returned to the dock and it is being emptied for the last time.

If you look at the pictures Penguin is included in some shots. I have volunteered to help with the lines take-off when it happens so hopefully will get some better photos then. I will post details here when it happens, but it might be some time yet.

8. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Copying another person's design.

Takes me back to when I was an apprentice.

I was working in the design and development department of a tractor manufacturer. Ford tractors brought out a new tractor with a dual ratio gearbox (this was about 40 years ago, crikes I must be getting old), the company I was working for bought a Ford tractor and my job was to strip the gearbox so we could find out how they did it.

I later moved into marketing, that was an eye opener. Spy network.

If you don't think car and other manufacturers don't do the same thing (probably including boat builders) you are living with your head in the sand.

However what big business do is try and make the average citizen feel like a criminal if they do it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.