Pipe insulation----------possible floatation?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by djwkd, Aug 19, 2006.

1. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

just posting this thread to see if possibly i could use pipe insulation for floatation.cheers.

2. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

No, it will absorb water and break down.

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Pipe insulation will not suffice as flotation. As jim says it will disintegrate over time if it gets wet. The 'pool noodles' commonly seen in swimming pools are made of a similar material and rarely last more than a year or two.

4. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

ok,thanks

5. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Are you sure?

Pool noodle stuff is a true closed cell. I'm sure constant exposure to water will allow some water to creep in over time. However, if let to air out it will return to its basic properties.

I think the largest worry of pool noodle material is breaking it down under UV light of the sun.

Also the chlorine in a pool is a Class-A corrosive just like bleach. Very few materials are immune to its affects.

I understand that not all closed cell foams perform equally. For instance I once tested a closed cell commercial carpet foam. By tested I mean I left it in a glass of water for a month. You could see the water line creep up the material, the part in the water could be rung out it retained so much water. So much for moisture resistant carpet foam. I say that foam was in between pipe insulation and pool noodle foam.

If there is soft cushy foam that performs even better than pool noodle foam, I'd be very interested in learning about it.

6. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

another quesation on floatation,can you really put plastic bottles and cans INSIDE he pontoon?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.