Pink Satinwood ply anyone used this product?

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Corley, May 30, 2012.

1. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

2. denmanmarine

denmanmarine Junior Member

What are you going to be using it for?

AD

3. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I was thinking of using it for internal bulkheads. It has a price advantage over Gaboon and seems to have similar properties. The devil can be in the detail though so I was interested to hear other peoples thoughts on what it was like to use.

4. NoEyeDeer

NoEyeDeer Senior Member

I actually emailed the importer a while back asking about stress grading, etc. He couldn't give me an accurate answer as apparently there hasn't been any testing as such. He thought that it would probably rate around F11, which would make sense given that hoop pine marine is F17, but couldn't be certain.

I'm planning to get some myself soon for a small project.

ETA: Email went like this...................

5. denmanmarine

denmanmarine Junior Member

I actually emailed the importer a while back asking about stress grading, etc. He couldn't give me an accurate answer as apparently there hasn't been any testing as such. He thought that it would probably rate around F11, which would make sense given that hoop pine marine is F17, but couldn't be certain.

If it helps, I can supply testing data on Bruynzeel Hechthout to EN310 (Wood-based panels — Determination of modulus of elasticity in bending and of bending strength). Obviously more expensive than pink satinwood or kokoda but fully compliant to BS1088 and Lloyd's Register certified as such.

Send me an email if you would like a copy of the data.

Andrew

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.