Pilothouse headroom

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by whitepointer23, Sep 6, 2015.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Standard doorways are 6' 8", not 6' 10". RHP, if you're looking at 500K boats and don't have the headroom you need, keep looking as you have the money to afford what you want.

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I stand corrected, it is 6' 8, or a little more (2040mm) in these parts as well. I notice a couple of doors in my house are over 6' 9. Obviously a person of 6' 7 is a rarity, and you'd need to keep off the pogo stick going through a standard doorway. But if raising the headroom is being avoided purely for aesthetic reasons, that is easily dealt with by paintwork, seeing at most it will be 6 inches extra height.

3. PAR

An extra 6" of headroom on a 24' boat will make it look like a Winnebago is parked on the deck. An extra 6" on a 40' yacht will hardly be noticeable.

4. RHP

RHP Senior Member

That 6" jump has become normal in this day and age. Looking around marinas there are very few low freeboard yachts any more. What's also changed is there are very few deep bilged yachts, they're all surface (cheap) skimmers so all the headroom has be to basically from 6 inches under the waterline upwards, hence the need for higher freeboard.

5. Jammer Six

Jammer Six Previous Member

Like everything else, doors come in a variety of "standard" sizes.

6-8 is the usual (I hate the word "standard", it implies that there is such a thing) residential door size. (Even then, there is a full range of widths and thicknesses, because, well, everything is different everywhere.)

It is nowhere close to the usual commercial or industrial size, but then there is no real standard.

6. Mr Efficiency

using a layer-cake paint scheme, high structure is easily made to look lower. Just like horizontal stripes on clothing makes people look more squat.

7. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

So if Mr. RHP wears horizontal striped shirts, will he still have a headache?

8. Mr Efficiency

That would depend.....

9. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Yes,
    What may help is kneepads..

Jeff.

10. PAR

I understand he's regularly wearing his knee pads . . . :p

More Jammer nonsense I see. 99% of the doors sold at the big box stores and other major suppliers are 6' 8" tall, so I guess your idea of a standard, their idea of a standard and the Ramsey/Sleeper "Architectural Graphic Standards" on my shelf that suggest it might very well be, can't possibly be accurate. Go thing you're here to straighten things out. A valuable contribution once again . . .

RKP, you're correct this "trend" has been going on for a some time (a few decades), progressively producing difficult to admire yachts, unless they go like stink, IMO. Just buy a big W class and get on with it. They're pretty and you can stand up.

KapnD, welcome home my friend.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.