Finnsailer 29 (or is it Finnsailer?) motorsailer

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by Basil*, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Basil*

Basil* New Member

Does anyone have any info on these boats? I checked one out locally, and it seems superb for a livaboard; I've never seen so much space and storage on such a small boat. They were made in Finland and touted as being "Built for the North Sea", and I know the original design was created after consulting with local fishermen. Apparently the molds were bought out by Nauticat and used for their earlier models. But looking for info on the web I found nothing that wasn't in Finnish! There are annual rendezvous and such, but again the websites aren't in English. I'm interested to know her seaworthiness, sailing qualities, and suitability for sailing up the BC coast to Alaska. Is she Blue water capable? Double ended, full keeled and heavy, but awfully tall, and really considered a motorsailer. An enormous amount of boat for the price, it seems.

2. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

3. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

Looks like what I would call a 'classical motorsailer' in the mold of William hand and John C. Hanna. Can probably sail on all points of sail with the wind fresh enough (not the hottest upwind, but adequate), but relies on the engine for lighter wind work. Also has enough engine to make port upwind in a blow with all its sails furled.

Not a bad comprmise in today's world of tight schelduals.

Bob

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.